Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
So last night I picked up a front frame section to a 99 Explorer v-8 AWD

I can not seam to locate the ID tag to check the gear ratio. Is there any thing on the axle to find out what it might be.

I can not check the door tag or the rear end since the rest of the Explorer is missing. :-S

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well I don't think that the ratio is stamped on the housing or the cover any where. The only way I know to check is to take the cover off and count the number of teeth on the ring and then the number on the pinion.. Take the number of teeth on the ring gear and divide it by the number on the pinion and that is your gear ratio..

Ring/ Pinion : 1

Sadly that is what I feared. :(

or you can mark the ring gear--
count the revolutions of pinion to achieve one revolution of the ring gear. Over 4 pinion revs will be 410 gears. Slightly less than 4 will be 373.

:D

Im just guessing this truck would of been a 3.73 or 3.55 being a v-8 AWD. The guy guy I got it from said it was a "Eddie bauer limited" :rolleyes:

or you can mark the ring gear--
count the revolutions of pinion to achieve one revolution of the ring gear. Over 4 pinion revs will be 410 gears. Slightly less than 4 will be 373.

:D

Back