Front Brake pad install Ford Ranger 2002 4x4 4.0 eng. auto tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Brake pad install Ford Ranger 2002 4x4 4.0 eng. auto tranny

George W

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4X4
Hello, I just installed front brake pads on my ford Ranger 4X4 and would like to ask a question.. It was a snap to do but after pushing in the pucks and installing the new pads then getting it back together. I thought I should look at my master cylinder and it was fill to the top.. so I started the truck and pressed the brakes slow and they went to the floor 3 times then built up just fine. Took it for a test drive with some good hard stops to set the pads and all still feels fine.. Do you think I need to bleed the front system.. I could hear some air get pushed up when I pushed in the pistons on the passenger side but that may have made it all the way up the the master cylinder and purged itself.. There was 118000 miles on the org pads with almost nothing left.. The were bonded not riveted pads..Rotors are not to bad. Thanks! George

I suggest bleeding the system. Pushing the pistons back into the calipers can cause a soft pedal. Besides, with 118K miles on the truck, it is past due for flushing.

I would also suggest resurfacing the rotors. 3M makes a surfacing pad which mounts to a disk that goes in your drill - not very expensive, and works really well. It removes any glazing that may be on the rotor, and dulls the surface so the new pads seat faster.

Back