Front C-Clip Eliminator

Michael

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92
Is there a company that makes a C-Clip Eliminator for the dana 35 front end, or is this something that you just have to come up with. I read the stuff on the ranger station about doing it on a dana 28 so I assume it would be similar, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy... Remove the C-Clip and place a fairly strong spring from an automatic transmisson in between the two axle halfs.

You may want to tackweld the plug into the end of the axle yoke to keep the spring from pushing out the plug. I've only seen that happen once though and mine was never welded.

What is the advantage of replacing the C-clip?

Removing the C-clip is a must when you install an airlocker up front.

It makes replacing the long side axle shaft much easier as well.

You have to put the spring with a lockright as well. I went to the local machine shop and told the guy what i needed and he showed me a box of springs and I started digging till I found a few that would work and take them home.

What rick was talking about the plug can happen. It happened to me and took out the bearing on the inside. I have replaced that stupid seal like 10 times now. The cap came off the shaft and screwed up the spring so I had to get a new spring. Dont use a messed up spring i tred it and i think that was my problem. To replace the cap rick is talking about I used a 1/8 inch thick piece of steel cut about 1 1/4 inches long and welded it on with my 110 mig. much thicker and it will cause the u joint to not move as far as it possible can. Is it a problem, I dont know but decided not to take the risk. After putting in a new spring and anothe cap on it seems to work. I have one pretty hard trip on it and it is still holding fine for me.

Matt

Back