Ford 8.8 IRS - Missed the exact driver side stub bearing location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford 8.8 IRS - Missed the exact driver side stub bearing location

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi

Just changed the driver side rear axle cv shaft bearing and seal.

Since there is no exact bearing longtitude location at driver side diff case defined anyhow if no original ford tool used,ive installed (by mistake) the stub bearing about a 5mm deeper than the original one ( relatively to the passenger side stub bearing location,they are supposed to be the same )

According to the shaft wear sights ,ive missed about 2mm of the shaft bearing surface (total roller lenght /bearing width is 10mm).

Should i leave it or it is critical non drive condition?

After assembly,no any vibrations or noises detected.no leaks at the shaft seal.

Any advise will be appreciated.
20220420_091341.jpg

Since you've been able to get this far yourself I'd throw the seal in and see what happens. As long as that bearing still rides on a good surface on the cv you should be fine as 5mm isn't that extreme. That will allow a little extra endplay but you'll be able to see if it's an issue by if the seal leaks or not.

I'm super picky and wouldn't necessarily be in the same situation as I would make sure I'm within +/- 1mm when I do it but I've rebuilt a ton at this point myself. The only way you can adjust it without damaging the bearing would be tap it out from the inside (ton of work from here). Other option is to pull that one back out (almost impossible to do without damaging) and send a new one in at the correct depth.

Thanks!
I will check it.in worst case ,i will change the seal and the bearing once again.

Right now really no any way to extract this bearing with the slide hammer from the outside without damaging the bearing race.

Back