Front differential Mounting Bolts & "flag" nuts needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front differential Mounting Bolts & "flag" nuts needed

turtlecruise

Reaction score
City, State
conway nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer sohc 4wd
2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4x4 Auto. Need the set of three bolts/nuts that mount the front differential to the frame.
I believe they are all the same from 1998 to 2001, and some SportTrac also fit. Email is sdwakaturtle and I
am at hotmail. Thanks. Mine are rusted out & be be destroyed when I lower the diff to replace motor mounts.
Grade is 10.9 on the bolts. Nuts have a metal tab/flag to stop it from rotating so you need only turn the bolt head
to remove.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK. Tell ya what.
I just happen to have the worlds largest hoard of explorer hardware. I am cleaning shop now, know i have those bolts but off the top of my head I cannot picture exactly which ones you need.

A picture of even the bad ones laying near a tape measure would help.

I now the torque bracket bolt is long, I believe it is an m13 thread. It can be replaced by a long bolt, washers and nut. You want the single wing nuts for the end bolts though for sure, hmm, I just looked at em I think--

Hi Turd on the - note I am "turtlecruise" !! Slow but steady gets the job done ! Thanks for the offer to look thru your fastners. All 3 of the bolts on my front axle mounts are 13mm best I can tell. Rust tho = fit a 1/2" socket = better fit. They are not off yet as I don't want to start unless I have replacement hardware in hand. Yes the torque bracket is much longer, fully threaded I read. The other two bolts w/ the "flag", or "tab" nuts on the front diff "arms" areshorter. The nuts are rusty as heck, but & nearly impossible to get a wrench on but they appear to be 22mm or less. With the rust blooming, the wrench fit & difficult access I could not tell for sure. This link (if I can
post a link) has good pictures of the area & bolt heads, but I am sure you already know this. I have searched hig & low for fastener
information and/or p/n but came up empty handed. Even my Ford OEM manuals (each 3" thick or so), which often list the fastner size, do not do so for the front axle r/r instructions. The schematic does not even show the 3 flag nuts/bolts. I think MountaineerGreen would know, as he did a good r/r on axle swap with great pics, but he has not logged in for about 2 years from what I can see. Thanks for any assistance you can offer. email sdwakaturtle@hotmail.com Here is that link with the pics
How To: Replacing 2nd Gen Front Axle Housing

Sorry about the typo Turdle.... the darn email somehow skpped to a previous line & I did not notice the deleted letters....

Turdle - this picture of an OEM Ford Bolt for the '02-'05 Expl & Mtn's is the best I can find - I believe the front suspension was basically the same in the 3rd gen starting in 2002 so the same fasteners would have been used. Ford Mount Bushing Bolt W506549-S426 4wd Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 02 03 05 | eBay
The "flag" nut comes in two versions, again for later years, but I believe the front axle mounting remained similar & the same
fasteners were used. The two Ford p/n's may reflect one flag nut for the torque arm bolt , which is a smaller diameter bolt, and the
other two mounting bolts (as in above W506549-S426) which are a larger OD. Guessing here. Cannot find p/n's for 2nd gen front
carrier mounting nuts/bolts. The flag nut p/n's are W708348S441 & W706348S441, Explorers 2006-2010
Mount Bushing Nut - Ford (-W708348-S441) | OEMFORDPART
Mount Bushing Nut - Ford (-W706348-S441) | TascaParts
Your collection of 2nd GEN fasteners may have what I am looking for. Thanks for taking a look !

There is a company in cincinnati called green sales. They specialize in NOS Ford parts. Sometimes they don't have the part, but they can get you a part number. They helped me alot in sourcing parts for my 1968 C600. I got part numbers, punched them in Google, and next thing I knew, they were sitting on my doorstep.

You may try them. There is a similar company in New Jersey, but I can't remember the name.

I am sorry, for some reason I did not get one email notification of what was going on in here.

I am still reorganizing out there, and have a guy coming by to spray texture in my bathroom. Somehow, I will try to dig through my bolts and look for these.

Back