Front End Rubbing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Rubbing

Wish4rs6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hello all! New to the group and new explorer driver. Don't know if anyone else has had an issue but my explorer has about 5000 miles on it and already the dealership has replaced the front drive bearings due to my complaints of something rubbing in the front end after extended use with just a little bit of turn in either direction. I thought they had fixed the issue with the rubbing but it back and it's really getting annoying. Any information would be much appreciated. Hope all are well!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes rubbing! Sounds like rubber on rubber. Not metal or grinding. Only when steering wheel is turned. Also must be moving at any speed.

Maybe something to do with the power steering, its pump and et al ?

If you can create/recreate this noise/sound when the Ex is not moving by working the wheel side to side a bit, it is actually in the steering column somewhere. I noticed mine does it as well, but haven't taken the time to find it yet. Also keep in mind the tires will tend to make this type of noise on sealed/finished concrete.

...Don't know if anyone else has had an issue but my explorer has about 5000 miles on it and already the dealership has replaced the front drive bearings due to my complaints of something rubbing in the front end after extended use with just a little bit of turn in either direction. I thought they had fixed the issue with the rubbing but it back and it's really getting annoying...

Welcome, Wish4rs6; we're glad to have you here! Let's see what I can do do to assist with your Explorer rubbing you the wrong way. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager. :thumbsup:

If you can create/recreate this noise/sound when the Ex is not moving by working the wheel side to side a bit, it is actually in the steering column somewhere. I noticed mine does it as well, but haven't taken the time to find it yet...

It sounds like you're going to track this down yourself, DeepBlueSC, but don't hesitate to reach out to your dealership if you need help. Of course, I'm always a PM away, too. :)

Crystal

Back