Front Signal Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Signal Lights

I purchased some white xexnon bulbs (3157) to replace the amber ones that blink when I turn my signal. First I would like to know how you can make them stop blinking. I am assuming that by cutting one of the three wires would stop it from blinking but I do not which one to cut. Has anyone out there done this? Does is affect the blinking sequence to the other? What I mean does it affect it like when you pull out the bulb completely the blinking sequence is faster than when everything is working and in place.

Also, when I installed the white bulb in the front, just above the headlight it is not as bright. I want it to blend in as close as possible to the headlight. Right now it is a dim white, but when i turn the blinker it gets really bright. Any one know how to brighten the bulb. Hit me back please if anyone has ever done this. It seems to me that the bulb is not as bright as it can be because when it blinks it get really bright

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

use a light(tester light)light to figue with side flashes or dont flash.
It will cause you indicator to flash real fast but you can just fold over the wire prongs to one side and flip it around untill it works.
That will give yoiu the brighter light you seek.

the lights arent always supposed to have both elements illuminated, doing so will damage them or make them wear out faster.... by disconnecting them, its illegal and also not safe.... also, it will probably make them not work at all as there will basically be a open circuit.... the fronts will no longer work at all, and hte rears will blink very fast....... other words.... just completely unplug it, or leave it alone.....

How can you close the circuit? I wired in an additional bulb in to the same circuit but the indicator still flashes very fast. Can I put some sort of resistor on there to compensate since the new bulb is smaller.

Easiest way to get brighter light in the top section is to put in another bulb.
NAPA light sockett # LS6455
1 1/4" hole saw for a drill.
1156 bulb (27 watt)
Danco #35743B "O" ring - to seal socket.
Drill in top of fixture, put in bulb & wire to parking lights.

Radio shack has some resisters that will take the place of a bulb in the turn signal circut. They are about a 1/4 " square and 1" long and have a wire comming out both ends. It takes two to equal the resistance of a 27 watt turn signal bulb and they get HOT.

BILL I followed your instruction but I am unable to get the snap-on gear to do the job but I was able to a super white 27watt bulb to do the job.

I wish you had the particular # for the said resistor. How about color?

Dont know what you mean by "snap on gear".
I'll walk over to RS this afternoon and see what the part # is for the resisters.
Later...
Oh ya, I'll try and post a pic of the install.

Sorry, I did mean to say napa.
Pics would be lovely!

Is a 1156 bulb brighter than a 3157? Also if I do what you suggest by replacing the bulb and buying the appropriate socket do I still need to buy the resistor? I take it Napa is the buy this socket at a Napa Auto Parts or is Napa the brand of the socket? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I need to ask. I was thinking of connecting a different bulb and socket from the headlight it self (9007) bulb. I was thinking of a 895 buld which requires a two prong socket. I think this bulb is a 55 watt and it would blend in with the headlight as far as brightness is concern to make it look like a one piece headlight at night. Do you guys think this would work, connecting straight to the headlight.

Back