front spring spacer installed but have questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front spring spacer installed but have questions

94explorer2x4

Reaction score
City, State
Mt. Baldy, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt 2x4
I installed front spring spacers from a f-150 and it has provided some good cheap lift (not including alignment) but my question is what have others done about the retaining nut and washer that dont seem to go back on with the spacers installed? I am afraid that with a pair of extended shocks the springs might just fall out. I might use some sort of limit strap but that would kinda make the longer shock useless. Also after I did tis I noticed that the only people doing this mod are 4x4 where as I am not mabey this is why I am having this problem. and now I am looking for the same 2" of lift for the rear dose any one have any sugestions for this besides the shackles dose ne one make like a drop bracket for the leaf springs for both front and rear mounting points?
Thanks, Nate
FYI I have ben driving it on the street with the spacers installed for a week now and have noticed nothing wrong with the steering or suspension they feel normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

94explorer2x4 said:
I installed front spring spacers from a f-150 and it has provided some good cheap lift (not including alignment) but my question is what have others done about the retaining nut and washer that dont seem to go back on with the spacers installed?

did you not put the bult back??? from what i know you 4x2 guys need a longer bolt. but please tell me that the nut is in there :eek:

no?

Nope the bolt is too short it dose not come through the top, that was my concern. mabey I should take them out for now. although I have had no problems so far. what do you guys think?????? :thumbsup: :thumbdwn:

dose any one know the size off hand? I dont think I will have any problem with it as long as I keep the stock shocks but as soon as I get more travel it would be a problem. Many other cars dont have any bolts holding the springs on as long as at full travel the spring has some pressure on it. Im not saying that I am not going to chane the bolts but until I get them I am going to be driving it.

any one

Any one know the size of the bolt that I need or can I use the bolt from the 4x4 model??
Thanks Nate

DO not drive your truck like that

i had a buddie with a Grand Cherokee where they did something simular, one of the rear coil springs popped out while he was wheelin. HAHA the rear axle is RUINED now,

94explorer2x4 said:
Any one know the size of the bolt that I need or can I use the bolt from the 4x4 model??
Thanks Nate

i need this info also :roll:

Compare them, i dont know exact sizes, but what the coil nut retainer for the 4x4 is 1 1/8"? Take a trip to the yunkyard and compare threads.

Get the top radius arm retaining/coil retainer studs from a 4x4 model, this is what you 2wd guys use to fit the F-150 spring seats.

Later you can make J hooks to retain the coil so it doesnt pop out at full droop, usually this only happens with extended radius arms however.

Thanks

Thank you creager and 410fortune I have ordered a set of the 4x4 bolts thanks Nate :thumbsup:

Back