Front Winch Bumper | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Winch Bumper

What about now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ben? is ur bumper done yet?

I like the way that looks , b/c it is simple and strong and looks good. the only thing i would do is add gussets and triangulation to each side. but you said you will put a battery in there so it is not near done. Do you have a finished draft yet??????

Charlie's_93EB said:
I like the way that looks , b/c it is simple and strong and looks good. the only thing i would do is add gussets and triangulation to each side. but you said you will put a battery in there so it is not near done. Do you have a finished draft yet??????

I'm got the piece for the bottom of the battery box cut, I'm gonna weld it and everything else next weekend or later.. I'm going fishing this Sunday and working Saturday.

ive been quietly watching this thread.....hows it coming?

Nope not yet Ben.. Right now my tranny needs a solenoid swapped, I just started my business so I've been more concerned about that than the bumper.. I am thinking I may do a little bit of work this week on the bumper.. I also plan on re-doing the tire carrier latch this weekend. I plan on using a 90* U-bolt latch plus a spring loaded latch as a secondary in case the first one fails.. Basically the 2nd latch looks like this:
8498ac1l.gif
It has an overall length of 3" and the threaded portion is 2" so it'll fit nicely in the 2" square tubing.. It has a 1" throw on the bolt so it'll stay firmly in the bumper. I could go 35s if I had the gears.

Been slowly progessing here recently.. Mostly due to lack of time off and energy.. Did a few things today.. I removed the frame horns off my front frame today.. I did a pre fit of the bumper to determine how far I want it to stick out..

This is the side angle shot of it.. I want it to roughly stick out 5.25" inches from the grille.. I also need to figure where to mount the winch plug.. I'm thinking of maybe drilling & tapping the steel and just adding a plug in the bumper..

DCP_0573.JPG

Here is a frontal look..
DCP_0572.JPG

Or if I was to chop the sides at angle..
DCP_0572a.JPG

I think chopping the side would look better however, the battery tray which I removed due to some bad measurements may not work.. I had to add a 2.5" piece of square tubing on top of the frame rail since the 4" flat bar does not line up with the bumper mounts unless I angle it severly.

I have to modify my angle bracket mounts since the D-ring shackle mounts are in the way of the angle brackets.. I've notched it but its still is in the way of the bolts that hold the 4"x12" flat bar I'm using for the frame mounts. I may add some 3/4" or 1/2" flat bar to raise the mounts enough to clear or cut the d-ring mounts about a inch lower to prevent the bolts from hitting. Incidentally, I found out how easy it is to remove the frame horns.. a couple quick passes with the grinder with a cutting wheel and a hammer and it came off.

the sides chapped at an angle look way better.

Yeah I'm probably gonna chop it.. I may just take it up to Savage Wolf's so he can play with the plasma cutter unless he feels like letting me play with it for a bit :D :D

I would try and bring it in a little closer or have the wraps come in at a little tighter angle

Yeah I'm thinking about re-doing the angle then again the bumper isn't even mounted.. I just cut the horns to see if I needed to add steel to the frame for mounts.. I'm hoping to finish by monday or tuesday afternoon..

Blee1099 said:
Yeah I'm probably gonna chop it.. I may just take it up to Savage Wolf's so he can play with the plasma cutter unless he feels like letting me play with it for a bit :D :D
It would take a reciprocating saw probably 5 mins per side to cut those out.

IZwack said:
It would take a reciprocating saw probably 5 mins per side to cut those out.

but a plasma cutter is more fun :D

ahah yeah so true. Is Savage's SAS done btw?

I don't think it is.. I know he's doing a EB restoration plus the solid axle swap in his Explorer.. not sure whats going on

oh ko - well do convince Savage to come to the next M&G :D

I finally mounted the winch to the bumper today.. I'm gonna add the sides when I'm ready. I even managed to make a set of 2' jackstands. :D
DCP_0590.jpg

DCP_0591.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Charlie's_93EB said:
looks good? :thumbup: but why diid you cut the slot in the top???

oh and the leds in the grill?

But looks real good!!

I cut the slot cause the winch won't fit in the area without chopping.. If I kept the channel steel complete, the winch/bumper would stick about 2" further out.. That was unacceptacle for me, so I cut it down.. It also makes it easier to gain access to the winch.. The LEDs in the grille, are special ones :D Lets just say they are very bright and colorful.. :D :D

Back