Fuel Filter Replacement 1994 4x4 XLT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement 1994 4x4 XLT

ok so i was curious today and went out and took my filter off. i used the lyle brand white nylon removal set that i already had, it is a 3/8 line. so i used the 3/8 tool. i sprayed it with electrical cleaner and popped my removal tool in. spun it around a few times. and pushed EXTRA hard on the tool.... nothing... so i pushed EVEN harder on the tool and pulled the line in towards the filter, then i heard a click. i pulled the line off. repeated on other side. dark brown gas came out, so i too need a new filter. i used dielectric grease on the outside of the filter lines before i reinstalled it hoping it will make it easier to take out this weekend again when i actually change it lol. hope that helps a little bit.

The use of a lubricant seems like a common theme in most of the posts. When I get back to it, that will be my first step. Thank you for your update.:)

Final Solution to Fuel Filter Removal Replacment Issue

Sorry I was so tardy on informing all you who helped with and or viewed this thread for the final resolution to my issue.

I took it to Jiffy Lube. Took them about 45 Minutes to get the faulty fuel filter connection to release. They basically had to distroy the Ring/Finger locking component in the connector (see post above which states that part can be bought at various auto parts stores). It is a common enough issue that they keep replacements in stock. They showed me the old one. I am sure I caused the problem when first trying to remove it by pulling on it without the removal tool. A third party service manual discribed removing a clip to release the connector. They were actually talking about a different year and did not recognize that Ford made a change in the years that were covered in the book, so I did not know a tool was required. Anyway, I bent the fingers in a way that they then wouldn't release with a standard quick release tool. Anyway, Jiffy Lube was able to get it to come undone, then they pried the ring/finger component out and put the new one in. They only charged me the standard fuel filter replacement labor cost, so good-on Jiffy Lube.

I sometimes find Youtube to be helpful in repairs and it's a champ for this one.

Just click on this link and watch the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgQJ-RinXc

Then on the right side of the above Youtube page you can select a few more videos on this same topic.

SAFETY TIP: After depressurizing the fuel line by pulling the fuel pump relay and cranking the engine for 15 to 20 seconds, remove the negative battery cable from the battery to eliminate accidental electrical ignition of the spilled fuel when the filter is removed.
THANKS FOR THE YOU TUBE VIDEO - EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW! SWEEEEET!

Back