Fuel Pump Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Also when I turn the key and the engine is cranking the RPM gauge does not move at all. From what I read and see on YouTube the tach needle should move up ever so slightly as the engine is cranking. So this makes me think that the fuel injectors aren't being told to open up, am I wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also when I turn the key and the engine is cranking the RPM gauge does not move at all. From what I read and see on YouTube the tach needle should move up ever so slightly as the engine is cranking. So this makes me think that the fuel injectors aren't being told to open up, am I wrong?

@Paulyy___g
My guess is no, yer not wrong. Next guess is that the PCM is failing to pulse the coils. Final guess is, if it were, the tach would be pulsed also. I gather COP means difficult to check for spark. Not familiar with it, can one coil be removed from a plug, moved to where there is accessibility, check for spark (real CAREFULLY) to ground? imp

@Paulyy___g
My guess is no, yer not wrong. Next guess is that the PCM is failing to pulse the coils. Final guess is, if it were, the tach would be pulsed also. I gather COP means difficult to check for spark. Not familiar with it, can one coil be removed from a plug, moved to where there is accessibility, check for spark (real CAREFULLY) to ground? imp
I'm gonna order the scan tool obd sx link on amazon and download forscan and see if I'm having PATS key troubles. I can't see how it's not getting spark with 8 brand new spark plugs and ignition COP. There is a way to test and I'll try that also when I've got an extra helper but it just boggles my mind how the truck ran perfectly before running out of gas once and now I've got all these possible problems.

I'm gonna order the scan tool obd sx link on amazon and download forscan and see if I'm having PATS key troubles. I can't see how it's not getting spark with 8 brand new spark plugs and ignition COP. There is a way to test and I'll try that also when I've got an extra helper but it just boggles my mind how the truck ran perfectly before running out of gas once and now I've got all these possible problems.
@Paulyy___g
The Ford Official Troubleshooting Manual often winds up a specific trouble-shoot series with, "Replace PCM". It's a possibility, though IMO not a probability. impo

UPDATE:

Turns out my problem was something that's been going around lately: clogged cats. After reading reansor post about loss of engine power and how his intake manifold was leaking just like mine, I beat on the cats pretty good and don't you know it started right up no problem. I'm def gonna need to drill some holes since as soon as I press on the gas it wants to stall out. After that I'll replace the cats. Also found that the pipe coming off the rear car going to the muffler is basically rusted clean thru so got an exhaust leak there as well.

Another "cat hater", beating his cat. Been OK for so many miles now, I've quit cussing at the CEL! imp

Back