• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump

KBoomBoxx

Reaction score
City, State
Stanardsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Recently, actually 3 separate times over the last few weeks, my car has given me the same issue. When I go out to start it, whether its already warmed up or not does not matter, it wants to start, but it seems like its not getting gas. When you turn the key it sounds like the fuel pump is not always kicking on.

Heres the situation: turn key, turns over, car starts to shake as if its not getting enough gas, step on gas and floor it, but no change in idle, car dies out. Restart car, starts for 1 second and dies out again. Repeat process several times. Turn key and do not hear fuel pump turn on. Eventually it will start and be fine. My thought is that the fuel pump is starting to go. Today I popped the fuel relay out, cleaned it, and it started right up. I am thinking that I reset the fuel pump which is why it started, but that it is starting to go bad.

Any thoughts?

I found one at the local auto parts store for $110. Good price?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the original it's probably going out, you are lucky to get 100k miles out of it.

I've seen them from $79 - $150, and probably more at Ford so that's a decent price.

If it's the original it's probably going out, you are lucky to get 100k miles out of it.

I've seen them from $79 - $150, and probably more at Ford so that's a decent price.

bisjoe: thanks... what about the fact that today I popped the relay, cleaned it and it seemed to work again? weird right?

That could have been the only trouble, but unless you saw a lot of corrosion on it probably not. These symptoms could even be caused by water in the gas. As long as it doesn't do it again, you can wait and see what happens.

How many miles are on it? It's a big job, but if it goes out completely it will just die and not start back up. You don't want to do like me and be the one they talk about on the radio traffic report blocking the freeway. I had another one go out on a '90 Bronco not far from a garage, so I had them change it and it was $600. Part of that was draining the full tank.

Just replaced Fuel Sender/Pump Assembly on 93 Explorer. The pump was drawing too many Amps blowing fuse. I came across a problem when removing bolt from front tank mounting strap that ending up twisting the strap while trying to remove bolt with impact wrench that dug the strap into the plastic tank (Hold tank strap with adjustable wrench while loosing bolt).(Only dug a small gouge that I was able
to cover with several coats of "Seal All" sealant.) I replaced all mounting bolts that were all quite corroded with Grade 8 #10mm bolts(10mm bolts have different thread sizes, test with old bolts removed for pitch size) My Fuel Pump/SenderRetaining Ring was so
corroded that the only way to get the retaining ring off was to chisel it off, chiseling it
inward/sidewase into the fuel pump assembly.(I had applied several coats of penetrating
spray "PB Blaster" to the retaining ring area over a few days to let it soak in.) Then I used pliers to pull the ring off/inwards without damaging the locking tabs on the tank.
After lowering the tank I spray all removing bolt/nuts/clamps with penetrating spray to free them up before trying to loosening them up.

I am not a mechanic, but a somebody that can not afford going to a shop that charges
$500 dollars plus for doing this job. You can go to various sites for instructions "Auto Zone" or/and get a manual to help you.

Another thing if you remove a bolt or nut, apply some ant-seize compound/paste to it when re-installing it.

Back