'91 Explorer fuel problem. HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tyketto2003@Yaho

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Forks, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I'm fixing up 1991 ford explorer. The fuel filter was so bad it would not stay running, I replaced it. Now its very hard starting. When cold & starting you have to turn key & pump the gas pedal continously 15-45 sec. before it starts. Like it doesn't hold pressure in the fuel line. Aslo when it is running if you step the gas down too far it has no power & wants to die, like its starving for fuel. It will drive fine if you only step the padal down 1/4 to 1/2 way but any more & it starts to die. I'm thinking it is the fuel pump & sending unit. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 1st gen section. Check the fuel pressure with a gauge. It might have a bad fuel pressure regulator or a bad fuel pump relay.
Im new too. how do i find where you moved this thread.

Im new too. how do i find where you moved this thread.
You found it, no one ever replied and he didn't create another thread. Best thing to do is start a new thread in the appropriate forum asking the questions you have.

You found it, no one ever replied and he didn't create another thread. Best thing to do is start a new thread in the appropriate forum asking the questions you have.
ok thank you.

Back