Fuel splash out from below the filler opening | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel splash out from below the filler opening

longcruise2

Reaction score
City, State
arvada, colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1010 explorer
I got this 2010 explorer used a couple years ago. It has always had the problem I'll describe below but it occured to me that it does not seem normal.

Here's what happens, When I fill the tank and it is full, fuel will spill out below the filler hole but not bouncing up out of the filler hole like I've always experienced with every other car I've owned. I didn't pay too much attention for a long time because there is no check engine light so I guessed that it was normal but now I'm not so sure. It has the self sealing door system but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

So, do I have a break somewhere in the filler hose below the nozzle entry Point?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it only comes out when you are filling it?

Check fuel tank breather lines

So it only comes out when you are filling it? Only when it tos out just like it would splash out a bit around the nozzle except this is from below and then drips down from below

I learned just after buying my 2010 Mountaineer that it doesn't like being topped off. I could get another 0.5 gallon into my 2003 XLT after the pump clicked off the first time. Now I just let it fill and don't try and push any more gas into it after it clicks off the first time. If I try to get more gas in it it just runs out the overflow. This also prevents me from having slow filling issues too.

Mine is the same way.

I learned just after buying my 2010 Mountaineer that it doesn't like being topped off. I could get another 0.5 gallon into my 2003 XLT after the pump clicked off the first time. Now I just let it fill and don't try and push any more gas into it after it clicks off the first time. If I try to get more gas in it it just runs out the overflow. This also prevents me from having slow filling issues too.
Same here. Mine does the same. So now when the pump clicks off, that's it. Seems like I've read about a canister that gets damaged if you overflow raw gas into it. Don't know the specifics though. Just recall reading about it on this forum a few times. Maybe do a search for "slow fill" and see what comes up?

Same here. Mine does the same. So now when the pump clicks off, that's it. Seems like I've read about a canister that gets damaged if you overflow raw gas into it. Don't know the specifics though. Just recall reading about it on this forum a few times. Maybe do a search for "slow fill" and see what comes up?
I believe the canister can get filled to a point with gas which causes a slow fill problem. The problem should go away over time if the tank isn't overfilled.

Mine is the same way.
So, maybe it is a built in safety feature to prevent fuel from jetting out around the nozzle like every other car I've ever had! When the weather warms and I feel like I can drag my 75 year old carcass down under it I'm going to take a look and see exactly what is going on.

So, maybe it is a built in safety feature to prevent fuel from jetting out around the nozzle like every other car I've ever had! When the weather warms and I feel like I can drag my 75 year old carcass down under it I'm going to take a look and see exactly what is going on.
It could be. I have also read of damage that can be done by overfilling so it could by for both, safety and to prevent damage.

I got this 2010 explorer used a couple years ago. It has always had the problem I'll describe below but it occured to me that it does not seem normal.

Here's what happens, When I fill the tank and it is full, fuel will spill out below the filler hole but not bouncing up out of the filler hole like I've always experienced with every other car I've owned. I didn't pay too much attention for a long time because there is no check engine light so I guessed that it was normal but now I'm not so sure. It has the self sealing door system but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

So, do I have a break somewhere in the filler hose below the nozzle entry Point?
check hoses, check cao but might be the carbon filter system theres a valve and a filter. many cars with the system to filter gas fumes into engine not atmosphere. and many cars dont take it well by continuing to squeeze moge gas in tank by click click ing till filled to brim. if your doing this when auto nozzle clicks off with usual fill only click 1 more time. if you put too much raw fuel in instead of fumes raw gas gets in then tank cannot vent into filter now some cars seems to get away some dont. i drove early 2000-2005 focuses did not bother them but next model it might btw focuses untill ford put the trans 2 clutch they knew was bad it was a hell of a car my line of work we beat the cars the co was lax on maintance and we got 200k out of them only 1 engine fail in a fleet of 20 and dont remember ant trans failures. 1 landed on its roof girl had minor injuries no hospital time wtf ford screwed with a great product

Back