Fuses needed when adding to existing lights? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuses needed when adding to existing lights?

Sorry, just don't know, but if you add a set of back up lights to the vehicle; and the vehicle's reverse lights were spliced to accommodate the new lights, would a new fuse be needed?

The stock is 7.5. It blows every time lights get hooked up. I tested a 20 amp fuse and no problem. Is this recommended? Danger?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

grounding...

Nooooo!
stop right there--

You need to run a new 12 volt source wire back there, preferably right off the battery. You might want to consider getting a power block.This lead should be fused within 18" of the battery.
You then connect a relay to the "existing" light wire, using it for a "trigger" to switch the relay on.

Then, the new power wire is connected to another pin on the relay-and the power lead from the "new" light(s) to yet another relay pin.

the light(s) circuit is then grounded, as is the relay.

You should be able to google a relay schematic.

Never increase the value of an existing fuse!!!!!!!

From the relay, 87 is grounded to the body. Each light is grounded individually in their respective locations. Is this acceptable?

Thank you! :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh man... the directions say 30 is attached to 87a. I'm thoroughly confused... I followed the info on the relay and googled the hook up.

...This should help..I borrowed it from DeRocha...:D

18205Hella_Wiring_WEB.jpg

This is tough stuff, I think.

Thanks guys! I did what this pic shows... is this not correct?

30 (fused from batt) to 87a (attached to toggle switch)
87 grounded to vehicle
86/85 each light

Attachments

• IMGA0485.JPG
    IMGA0485.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 156

86 should be grounded
Existing light wire spliced to 85
from the battery to 30
87 to your "new" light

87a will be open

..This is the correct way...Ignore 87a...;)

oh snap!

I screwed up big time... I scraped the reverse light plan. I decided to add the lights to the front instead.

Attachments

• IMGA0489.JPG
    IMGA0489.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 150

Questions: Reverse lights/dual hook up...

86 should be grounded
Existing light wire spliced to 85
from the battery to 30
87 to your "new" light

87a will be open

...Also, you can find all kinds of lighting info here..:thumbsup:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203037

Okay, I hooked up the 55x2 to a relay; also plugged them into the trailer harness. When I turn on the lights, the 55s don't come on unless the switch is on. Question is: Is this an okay set up?

...That is how I wire mine...;)

Alright! :) Thank you very much!

Back