Garage Floor paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Garage Floor paint

I am going to paint the floor in my garage and was curious what experiences anyone has had. Ihave seen the Behr 2 part epoxy pinat and the Quikrete type. They both look like the same thing with a different name.

But my concerns are welding and plasma cuter sparks and fluids(brake clean, etc) ruining the the paint. Also will hot tires pull the paint off the floor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The behr and quikrete, and pretty much any other epoxy system commonly available are water based and are not all that great. Look up devoe coatings and find a local store, they should be able to help you out. They make many different kinds of real epoxy coatings and the cost is comparable to the consumer kits.

Search Pirate - apparently nothing stands up well to weld spatter, thats why I left mine alone. I think the conclusion is just to get it polished, or put down a few welding blankets when you are welding (and weld as much as you can on the welding table).

I painted my 2-car garage floor with t-h-e kit from Lowes - Rustoleum I think
It took 2 kits. I went with t-h-e beige color

Ive spilled everything from brake fluid, oil, beer, carb cleaner, brake cleaner you name it and it has all wiped up.
I have welded too, and have not noticed any adverse effects.

Have not lost any due to a hot t-i-r-e

t-h-e only difficult thing is spreading pizza damn flecks... mine is not totally even. And if you get too many in one spot pizza rough texture can be a dust/dirt collector.

I dont think I have a picture of t-h-e floor directly but here's a shot of my latest project...
IMG_6873.jpg

A 455 Buick to transplant into my 72 GS... You can see t-h-e floor. I have had a few cracks after it was painted though, nothing you can do about that.

Actually found some pictures of t-h-e Buick's Dash I had re-chromed. You can see t-h-e floor close up in this one...
beforeafter.jpg

Search Pirate - apparently nothing stands up well to weld spatter, thats why I left mine alone. I think the conclusion is just to get it polished, or put down a few welding blankets when you are welding (and weld as much as you can on the welding table).

Really...didn't know that! but that makes sense. I was going to my garage floor at some point, but you just changed my mind;)

i was getting hungry reading this thread, i think im gunna have some tacos...

Thanks for t-h-e heads up. Lowes carries t-h-e quikrete and rustoleum brands. I am planning on doing t-h-e grey floor to match my garage walls I just finished drywalling and painting. So will I need 3 kits for 3 car garage? And what about etching t-h-e floor first? Mine has some sort of clear coat on it now, that brake cleaner just eats up.

And since my wife and son are going out of town for 5 days I wont have to worry about her forgetting about t-h-e paint and parking in pizza garage. Or my son riding his bike or scooter on t-h-e paint eipizzar.

garage_003.jpg

garage_0041.jpg

yeah you'll need 1 kit / car garage
so 3 kits for you.
It dries to walk on after 24 hrs and you can start putting stuff back in.... but cant park on it for a week.
It comes with some powder you dissolve in water to clean t-h-e floor. Its some kind of cleaner/etcher and each kit will have a bag of it so don't be afraid to use it. t-h-e floor has to be completely dry before you paint it so wash/etch it a couple days in advance.

I think t-h-e gray will look good on y-our f-loor too.
you paint a 4'x4' area, and t-hen throw t-h-e flecks, and continue like that until you're done. Its impossible to get perfect.

for my 2 car, I had 1/2 a gallon left over so don't be afraid to put it on thick. A friend of mine did his 2 car with 1 kit. and when it dried you could see every roller mark. looked like a$$

Curtis,
Did you use a clear coat over t-h-e paint? Or did you add any of t-h-e non-slip additive?

Curtis,
Did you use a clear coat over t-h-e paint? Or did you add any of t-h-e non-slip additive?

Nope, no clear coat.. and no non-slip additive.
Just what comes in t-he kit.

I dont find it slippery at all.

T-he reduction of dust was well worth it... highly recommend it

Back