• Register Today It's free!

gauge needles HELP!

anti*commander

Reaction score
City, State
algonquin, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
i removed my gauge cluster so i can change the lights to blue, but i needed to scrape off the green film on the back of the black face "slides", but in order to remove those to gain access to the film i had to remove the needles of the gauges. Id like to know if the gauges re-calibrate themselves or if i need to get the recalibrated. if i need to get them re-calibrated how do i do that, or could a sesoned mechainc do it easily. i did my best to put that needles back where they were. and if none of the above work, how much does a gauge cluster go for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't "recalibrate". I learned the hard way myself after putting on white faced gauges on my old '00 Sport and now my '99 Eddie. It's easy enough to "eyeball" the fuel, temp, oil and battery needles (although I took photos before the last time I did it). The only way I found to set the tach and speed needles was to use my "Scangauge" (link below). You plug it into your OBD port and it reads both speed and tach. I drove around for a while with the cluster partially disassembled and used a "trial and error" approach to tweaking the needles until they matched up with what Scangauge said. Worked great, but it takes time and patience.

SCANGAUGE

well how hard would it be for a seasoned mechanic. iv got a buddy who has all the tools and what not, (enough to pay off a mortgage), and i know he would do it for free.

Best bet is to try to find a used cluster--they aren't too expensive-

there are 2 users here who recycle explorers and have lots of parts

kbabiak
ped5stang

also, you might try ebay--

you should be able to get one for around 40-50 bux

Trying to guess where the needles go back would be hit and miss at best.

if i buy a new cluster then all the work goes to waste, i just went out and i got the rpm's to read correctly, it usually idles at 500 so i drove a while, stoped and let it idle for a few minutes and then poped the needle on. everything is correct or close enough except for the thermometer ( the one in the upper left right above fuel) and the speedometer wich was off by 5 to 10 last i checked. but do they make gauge faces that arend reversed i hate the look of white i just want black which is what i acheived by doing this, but i also achieved a pain in the a** fix

well how hard would it be for a seasoned mechanic. iv got a buddy who has all the tools and what not, (enough to pay off a mortgage), and i know he would do it for free.

No idea. I am far from a seasoned mechanic (in fact, I'm a horrible mechanic), but I figured it out. I'd score a Scangauge and try it yourself. It's an interesting tool that provides other information as well and can also identify and erase check engine codes. Can't hurt to ask your buddy either.

Not sure why jonny (jtsmith) is advising you to get a new cluster. I hear he's losing his mind. :D

(NOTE TO THE SARCASM IMPAIRED: Jonny is my friend)

No idea. I am far from a seasoned mechanic (in fact, I'm a horrible mechanic), but I figured it out. I'd score a Scangauge and try it yourself. It's an interesting tool that provides other information as well and can also identify and erase check engine codes. Can't hurt to ask your buddy either.

Not sure why jonny (jtsmith) is advising you to get a new cluster. I hear he's losing his mind. :D

(NOTE TO THE SARCASM IMPAIRED: Jonny is my friend)

Correction--

lost not loosing. :confused:

anyway-I was sugesting a cluster as a cheaper and quicker alternative-although this is a good excuse to get a scantool

www.scantool.net has one which will work with a laptop--

about 60 bux

Back