• Register Today It's free!

Getting 6"Lift. Need New shocks.

MasonG

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
im getting a total of 6 inches of lift. (3"body and 3" add a leaf and spindles.)
i need new shocks for the rear but i dont know which ones i need,? anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And here's a pictures of Chad's Sport Trac with the SOA and the shocks connected to the anti-sway bar mounts with the anti-sway bar still installed.

pics016.jpg

ok. thanks but how will i know which ones are good. would one fitted for a 4 inch lift work. i already have 3 inches. but thats body.????

i already have 3 inches. but thats body.????
A body lift has no affect on shocks. Nothing changes in the suspension.

ok. thanks but how will i know which ones are good. would one fitted for a 4 inch lift work.
That's the hard part. Like I said, Superlift sells a shock for an add-a-leaf setup for the Sport Trac. But I've read most people think Superlift shocks are over priced and suck. But, maybe you can try to call them to get the specifications on the rear shock they sell. Get the compression, extension, and travel lengths. Then go through the Rancho application catalogs to try and find a match. But, don't forget you have to match the upper and lower connection points.

Look up the stock replacement Rancho shock to find out what the Upper and Lower mount codes are here in this link:
http://www.gorancho.com/products/docs/08Shocks.pdf

Then look for the Rancho shock model that meets these specifications in this catalog:
http://www.gorancho.com/products/docs/Specifications.pdf

And here's a pictures of Chad's Sport Trac with the SOA and the shocks connected to the anti-sway bar mounts with the anti-sway bar still installed.

pics016.jpg

sorry not to change the subject but is it me or is there something wrong with the way he installed the axle under the springs the right side looks the sway bar and left mounts look messed up and uneven

Yes you are off topic and the likely hood of Chad551 seeing this thread and answering your question about his anti-sway bar links is small. The picture is from Chad551's Sport Trac rear setup.

Process/procedure to figure out what you need on the rear...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2272757&postcount=2

I used the stock length when I did the SOA - but I think the shock was limiting droop. The best thing to probably do is to remove the shocks, flex it out to its max with one side stuffed and the other drooped, measure the difference between the two sides (where the shock would go; measured "eye to eye"), and buy a pair of shocks that has a compressed length shorter than the stuffed side measurement but has an extended length longer than the drooped side measurement.

woah. this crap sounds complicated. too bad no one has done this yet. except one guy but he wont reply to my emails..... ok that last reply of measuring it eye to eye.... is that really a good way? kinda doesnt seem to solid. what if i get one too long. i got the mounting codes (pain in the butt), but now i need to figure out the compression and all that what not. >=(.

thanks. i see now that the kit might come with the shocks. but im not sure. have to wait and see till i order the lift kit... do you think i should replace my front shocks also. or does it not even matter.

As far as I know 2wd lift spindles don't change the location of the A arms, so stock shocks should be fine. But it's never a bad idea to replace the stock shocks with some Rancho or Bilstein shocks.

ok thanks. i finally did some research on the lift kit, took me a while to find it. it comes with front and rear shocks. great to know. now i think i might need shackles and a TT(torsion twist). i have seen some threads on TT and some people approve of them and some dont. what do you think about them. worth it or not???

I did a torsion twist to my Sport Trac back in 2001. But now, I would never do it again. I have no plans to do it to my Limited. I think the torsion twist just helped fatigue my torsion bars. I think your spindle lift will be enough for you.
And you can always do some fender well trimming if necessary.

Case in point...

The picture below will show my truck on the left, and TXPlates' truck on the right. My truck has the torsion bolts cranked all the way up. TXPlates has never touched his. My front end is sitting lower than his. This is December 2005 and my truck has been through a lot of offroading. TXPlates had just did the body lift and 35" tires and his truck had not been offroad yet. Obviously my torsion bars are fatigue. Maybe they would be in better shape if I had not done the TT back in 2001.

My other point is that you can fit big tires without the TT. All that TXPlates has done was installed a 3" body lift and did some fender well trimming to fit 35" x 12.50" x 15" tires. Yeah, they probably rub a little when the steering wheel is fully cranked to the left or right. But its not bad in my opinion.

twins01.jpg

ok sweet. thanks alot. my 33's rubbed and i trimmed. now they dont at all. so i think you are right on the 35's fitting with a 6 inch lift. sucks because im going to put on the extra 3 inches and have to wait a while to get the 35's. so i hope it doesnt look too funny with 33's. and im excited because not many people from what i can find have done this lift like this. so ima try to make a page somewhere showing how to do it.

Just a question MasonG, maybe slightly off topic. Are you going to change gears?? Bigger tires don't require different gears but it is recommended.. I am curious because I will evetually be doing the same thing as you..

i didnt plan on changing gears. but ya. sounds like a good idea. if someone can tell me where and which ones to get. thanks.

Back