Getting new tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting new tires

I have to get a set of smaller tires for inspection. I am just wondering if I should get 31's or 32's Im sure it doesnt matter but I thought maybe some of you may have some good opinions on why or why not to go with a certain size for a spare set of 4. Also id like opinions on if you think 32x11.5's will pass inspection, as far as sticking out past the fenders. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

better go with 235/75s to be safe ;)

buying a complete set of tires just for inspection?

well do you have a friend that could loan you his/her stockers for a couple hours? That would definately beat spending the cash for tires that will sit in the garage.

although............ inspections are there to ensure you are following the law, so you should probably run your truck legally all the time... :p

however in some cases with lifted vehicles... wider tires on rims with a smaller backspacing make the truck more stable and therefore safer :p

inspections suck!

There is a local tire dealer here that i deal with that sells decent used tiresand wheels, so I was planning on getting rims to so I have a set. I kinda want an extra set so I dont have to go through this every year. I might even run them a few months out of a year so thats why im debating 31's or 32's.

I didnt search yet but are fender flares removable without damaging the fenders? And where could I get a cheap set. That may be the smarter way to go, but I always thought they screwed up the fenders.

How far do your tires stick out past the fenders? My friends jeep just passed inspection and his tires stick out about 1-1.5 inches. The guy who idi it just told him to say he put the tires on after he got it inspected.

They stick out 3.5 inches past the fender. I tryed going to 2 different inspection stations and both said they wouldnt pass it.

By PA law you are allowed up to 3inch flares. Maybe with those on they would let the extra half inch slide.

I ended up getting a set of steel wheels and 31" BFG A/T's. They look a little funny on the truck but not to bad. It is kinda nice to be able to turn again ;)

ida just bought 3" fender flares and put strip magnets on the back of em =)...stick on and off

Thanks for telling me now... :D J/k I really didnt look into fender flares, I thought they were expensive and permanent. I didnt get a bad deal on the tires and wheels they are used.

Back