Getting ready for Water Pump R&R on 2000 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting ready for Water Pump R&R on 2000 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC

3xowner

Reaction score
City, State
Western US
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer EB 4SOHC RWD
Will be replacing the water pump on my 2000 Eddie Bauer with a 4.0 SOHC (Towing package).

I've read that possibly the radiator may need to come out as to provide the necessary clarence to get the water pump out.

Is this the case? what setup / packages / trim requires that extra step of pulling the radiator?

thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will be replacing the water pump on my 2000 Eddie Bauer with a 4.0 SOHC (Towing package).

I've read that possibly the radiator may need to come out as to provide the necessary clarence to get the water pump out.

Is this the case? what setup / packages / trim requires that extra step of pulling the radiator?

thanks in advance!
So, I did this job in December all you need to do is remove the fan blade and fan clutch and the fan shroud and you will have enough room to remove the water pump

It’s an easy job. Make sure you use a quality gasket and torque the bolts properly. I used a very thin coat of sensor safe sealant (RTV blue, I believe) on both sides of the gasket to prevent weeping.

It’s an easy job. Make sure you use a quality gasket and torque the bolts properly. I used a very thin coat of sensor safe sealant (RTV blue, I believe) on both sides of the gasket to prevent weeping.
I used the Fel-Pro gasket and a thin layer of 90-minute gray RTV from Permatex and so far, no leaks also make sure you clean the surface very good and make sure it is completely smooth.

Listen to those two dudes
Sohc water pump is rather easy

I used a metal gasket from ford
I also have used felpro

I never used the rtv tho

thanks in advance!
I would also recommend inspecting your fan blade for cracks and if there is any present replace it also inspect the fan clutch Imo if it's original I would replace it just for preventative maintenance as a bad fan clutch can wear out the water pump bearings and cause it to leak another thing to consider is the thermostat housing I would upgrade to the aluminum thermostat housing and replace the thermostat while you're in there because the plastic housing is known to crack and leak also inspect all radiator hoses personally I replaced them when I did my thermostat housing and water pump just so I didn't have to do it twice if you end up replacing the thermostat housing replace the bypass hose that connects the thermostat housing and water pump I will list everything below so if you decide to replace that stuff you don't have to go and hunt the parts down

Water Pump Amazon product ASIN B000EQAVSQWater Pump Gasket Amazon product ASIN B000C2ACEAThermostat Housing More Information for SKP SKRH144A
Fan Clutch More Information for HAYDEN 2794
Fan Blade More Information for HAYDEN 2794
Thermostat More Information for MOTORCRAFT RT1160
Upper Radiator Hose Radiator to Pipe More Information for GATES 20230
Upper Radiator Hose pipe to thermostat housing More Information for GATES 21145
Lower Radiator Hose More Information for GATES 20470
Bypass Hose between Thermostat housing and water pump Amazon product ASIN B000C5BSQS
Now if you replace the thermostat housing, I recommend finding the motorcraft temp sensor and sender sensor instead of using the ones it comes with, the aluminum housing uses clip in sensors instead of screw in sensors which is a better design Imo I hope this list helps you out and if you have any questions or need help let me know.

well, the t-stat housing was down a few years back. I am confident the housing is fine now. I am thinnking as I get into this though, I probably will do the cam tensioner on the drivers side back at least. Yea, probably need to do the fan and clutch. The hoses near the pump were done when I did theT-stat housing. I know some hoses are in there tight, and have to consider if they are worth saving or just cut and replace

Listen to those two dudes
Sohc water pump is rather easy
well I wont call it easy per se, as to it having the clutch attached to it, but sure compared to an encased pump on a timing belt, sure this is easier.

well, the t-stat housing was down a few years back. I am confident the housing is fine now. I am thinnking as I get into this though, I probably will do the cam tensioner on the drivers side back at least. Yea, probably need to do the fan and clutch. The hoses near the pump were done when I did theT-stat housing. I know some hoses are in there tight, and have to consider if they are worth saving or just cut and replace
Yep definitely do the cam tensioner front and rear

well I wont call it easy per se, as to it having the clutch attached to it, but sure compared to an encased pump on a timing belt, sure this is easier.
It's a 2 out of 10 job definitely easy as long as you have the correct tools

well I will probably have to get the clutch tool from autozone
Yep hardest part is getting the clutch and fan off the water pump the rest is a cakewalk

As far as waterpump replacements go the sohc is be easiest of them all 2.3, 3.0, 4.0 ohv , 5.0 the sohc has the most accessible and easiest waterpump to get at all the bolts are the same length and access is right there

Back