Gibson Cat Back Exhaust | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gibson Cat Back Exhaust

I hope you got the stainless steel version. I had the Aluminized version and it only lasted 4 years. Other than that it was great. I tried MagnaFlow this time.
sorry to hijack, but did you notice any difference in the sound of the Magnaflow vs. the Gibson? i'm in the process of deciding which system to pick up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem i already got my answer lol Good Luck!

sorry to hijack, but did you notice any difference in the sound of the Magnaflow vs. the Gibson? i'm in the process of deciding which system to pick up

Definately different. The Magnaflow is a deeper tone and a little more quiet at idle. I do like the Magnaflow catback system for the relocating the exit to behind the rear wheel with the large tip. IT looks better tha the Gibson IMHO.

Definately different. The Magnaflow is a deeper tone and a little more quiet at idle. I do like the Magnaflow catback system for the relocating the exit to behind the rear wheel with the large tip. IT looks better tha the Gibson IMHO.

Matt, thank you for that insight into the Magnaflow. You made up my mind about it. THe one thing I want is an exhaust that exits behind the wheel. I hate how the factory one looks running the length of the body and the Gibson would look just as goofy.

Magnaflow is it for me.

Matt, thank you for that insight into the Magnaflow. You made up my mind about it. THe one thing I want is an exhaust that exits behind the wheel. I hate how the factory one looks running the length of the body and the Gibson would look just as goofy.

Magnaflow is it for me.

I got mine from Autoanything.com using coupon code MT50. It was only $395 plus free shipping. Had it in my hands in two or three days, I can't remember.

thanks for your insight Matt i appreciate it. i found a clip of the Magnaflow set up on here and compared it with the Gibson clip posted earlier in the thread. IMO, both systems sound excellent, but the sound of the Magnaflow reminded me a lot of the cat-back systems I ran on the two W-body GM cars i used to own (Pontiac Grand Prix & Buick Regal) and they also utilized Magnaflow mufflers. just not sure that type of sound would sound "correct" coming from my truck. still on the fence, but leaning slightly toward the Gibson

I had a flowmaster 40 on my explorer for about 2 years...it was quiet barely louder than stock...i was SERIOUSLY dissatisfied with it. Climbed under it tore the muffler off and replaced it with a straight pipe out the side and am about 300000x happier. Stock exhaust just open from cat back. Sounds awesome. As long as you dont open it up its pretty quiet too :thumbsup:

my 2.5'' magnaflow set up, is quiet when cruising, but screams when i want it to... quite satisfied with the magnaflow over my prior FM Delta 40...

on a side note im looking at the gibson cat back on my floor do you guys think ill be able to do this with my friend were both 18 and i have no experience but he does on his honda and trailblazer lol i hope its not to hard.

if its all bolt on then its pretty straight forward fella :thumbsup:

on a side note im looking at the gibson cat back on my floor do you guys think ill be able to do this with my friend were both 18 and i have no experience but he does on his honda and trailblazer lol i hope its not to hard.

It's easy. The improtant thing to remember with any cat-back is to put it all up loose and get everything where is should be, then tighten from the front to the back.

Alright i'm going to put the one side on jack stands just to make it easier but ill take pics and a video if you guys want it?

If you have enought jack stands put in on four stands. Having the car level will help in lining everything up and making it look ince. Also, you may need to remove the drivers rear wheel for access.

Alright i'm going to put the one side on jack stands just to make it easier but ill take pics and a video if you guys want it?

Jack stands will make it a lot easier. I had access to a lift. I did not have a bud helping me though...that will make it easier. Also, an air grinder will help to cut off the old muffler to y-pipe bolts...and a sawzall or hacksaw will be useful for taking off the old pipes behind the muffler. Use wd-40 or liquid wrench to lube up the rubber exhaust hangers when removing the old system and installing the new one. I also used it on the pipes where they join together...make sure they are all the way inserted or it won't fit right. You'll also want to drop the spare tire and take off the metal shield that's above it...makes it a lot easier to work around the rear axle. Probably not necessary to remove the wheels...I didn't have to at least. Lastly, make sure you install the muffler pointing in the right direction...there should be a tag on it that says "inlet" where it joins to the y pipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay thanks agan for all the support it means a lot ill keepd you guys posted but how do you take the heat sheild off?

oh kay cool just got the package today thanks bro if your ever in my area come stop by you seem like a pretty chill dude!

oh kay cool just got the package today thanks bro if your ever in my area come stop by you seem like a pretty chill dude!

Aj,
I just noticed you are in CT. Where in CT are you? If you need help with the exhaust let me know. I've done a couple of them on different cars that I've owned over the years (t-bird, ranger). If you are near Berlin I could probably convice my friend to let me use his lift too.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in the waterbury area i think berlins kind of far but your more than welcome to come help i was thinking of doing it this weekend sometime saturday or sunday. You can send me a pm with your number or something and maybe worse comes to worse if you cant come we can find a couple people in the CT area and make a meet for us. Maybe go find some good roading spots!

Back