Goodbye Torsion Bars

white96x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cuc,Ca(home) SLO,Ca(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 E.B.
alright so i might be jumping the gun on this a little bit but tommorow or tuesday will start the strip down of the front suspension for hopefully the last time...here's the plan: i will continue to run the camburg spindle and uniball upper a-arm suspension however the torsion bars and shocks will be replaced with Radflo 2.0 8" travel remote resivoir coilovers with 600lb eibachs(single rate)....the upper mount will be a box type configuration that is gussetted to the frame(no hoop)....as for the lower, the stock lower arm will be modified gussetted and boxed with new mounting tabs(it's cheaper to do this than build custom lowers and will work just as well) and to top it all off some new urethane lower arm bushings....pics and progress to follow...stay tuned for all you guys looking to ditch your t-bars

a side note, the guy doing the work is the same guy who built jeff's(takinitezx2) long travel kit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet...

We need better video of you jumping. After this mod, we will. :)

ya let's hope so right....:D wow i'm surprised at the lack of 'press' this thread got...either everyone is happy running torsion bars or i should have put this in the 'fabrication' forum ahh well, just dropped the truck off it will get dismantled tonight and all the pieces will be laser cut tommorow...i'll have pics thursday

Wow that was fast, ill be getting my kit done in october. But Ryan is right, the guy doing the fabwork does some amazing work and all out of his garage. Youll have to tell me how it rides and performs so i have something to look forward to.

Actually I think I'll move it to the project/suspension forum.

thanks colin...just a little update-radflo is going to take a little over a week to get the c/o's out here...which is weird since it's an in stock item....going to run a 14" 650 lb eibach...all the pieces are getting cut tomorrow and since we don't have a 2.0" coilover for mock up we'll be guessing using the measurements from radflo's website so no welds will be permanent til the shocks are here

So this isn't going to be any wider than it already is, just allow for more travel right?! That sounds like exactly what i would want someday. I'll def be following this one.

correct....if i went wider i would need new lowers and uppers but i don't feel thats necessary...especially after spending all that money on the camburg kit

...we want pics, lot's of pics....i am sure this is going to be a heavily watched thread...:D
...i can't wait to see it at pismo...

well, you know, there might be someone willing to take that camburg kit off your hands...you know, if you did want to go wider :)

well, you know, there might be someone willing to take that camburg kit off your hands...you know, if you did want to go wider :)

well it is off the truck as of right now...but despite your generosity i think i'll hang onto it...
and ted i'll be sure to take plenty of progress photos but it just barely got started so no photos as of yet

...thanks, the before during, and afters will be highly sought after...:D

You already have a spindle, really all you need is a custom upper, and a good shock and youd have a very good kit. Similar to the burg 6.0..

Ya i know, but just like white96 said in his first build thread when he decided on the camburg kit, you get the name camburg with it, but i know having the name doesnt help in performance at all. I also am on my second set of spindles because my first set apparently was bent from being abused off road. Im not sure i would want to invest in uppers only to damage my spindles and need to replace them again. A spindle from camburg i know i could pound on and not worry.

By the way, 4wheel parts of Van Nuys, CA was the shop that recommended replacing the spindles because they couldn't get it in alignment with the old ones to stop eating up my tires, but they couldnt get it in alignment with the new ones either. I recently finally got it aligned at an independent shop w/o problems, but now am out the price of a set of spindles and the cost of labor. I think my original ones weren't even bent at all, oh well, you live and you learn. Just FYI, stay away from that 4WP store!!

But like you said, if i had upper arms built and upgraded the shocks, which is what clarkkent has on his mountaineer, i would be in business. And i have seen his mountaineer in action and ridin in it, and his trucks front end is pretty stout. White96 was in the same boat as me with spindles, and he went the camburg route over what clarkkent did with his existing spindles.

Either way, its not my time to worry about this, its white96x's time :). Carry on.

Oh, and I am also out the cost of two new front tires too from driving around with them like /--\. But what can i do.

Ya, uh, me too.

So this isn't going to be any wider than it already is, just allow for more travel right?! That sounds like exactly what i would want someday. I'll def be following this one.

He wont get as much travel as you think. He probally will only get about an inch or two of travel over stock. The way you get bigger travel numbers is to make the arms longer which in turn gives you more travel.

Anyways its cool to see you getting your truck finally built the way you want it. Hopefully I can get mine done and we can all make a run out in the desert.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well even though travel still wont be as big as it would with new wider uppers and lowers, the coilovers will provide far better suspension performance than the stock torsion bars can provide.

Back