grill removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

grill removal

hey all i know how the part between the lights comes off but how to u get the part around the lights to come off? i have a 98 ex xlt and i cant get the little strip of that goes around the head lights that is connected to the grill to pop lose. needing some help please. thanks david

Its all one piece.

you will need a phillips screw driver and a 10mm socket.
first you need to remove the marker lights. Remove the big plastic shield. Two 10 mm bolts and four plastic phillips push pins. Then two phillips per marker light. Pop thoes out. Behind those marker lights are two screws. Remove them. From memory I dont thinkt here are any more screws on top but I think there might be. If there is remove them, if there is not,,,,, well carry on then.
All the screws out, the last step is the fun one. The bottom of the grill is snaped in in four locations. To the out side edge of each head light, and directly beneath the vertical portion of the grill, to the inside of the head light.
ONE AT A TIME gently but firmly pull out where these snaps are. I reccomend doing the two out side ones first. Then the two inside..

Nope- you're correst...

There are two screws on the top of the grille, and two screws behind the marker lights. Then the clips in the center, and the clips behind the marker lights.

A tip- when you pull the clips out, if the clips pull off the grille, (any of them) just push them through the back of the header, and pick them up off the floor. Then they won't get all distended from trying to pull them out of the header.

David- the marker lights can be tricky too- sometimes the seam on the bottom of the ligts gets caught on the grille, sometimes you have to push the lens up to give it room to slide out. Once the screws are out, they do just pop off though- just put a screwdriver behind the housings by where the screws were and gently pry them forward and they'll come off.

thanks guys. been trying to get it out for a few hrs now. didnt know aobut the marker lights having to come out. i have had a few clips come off and i did judt pusht them threw and reinstall them. so ill go and take the markers off then should be ok. thanks again

Back