Had to get her towed to the dealer the other day | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Had to get her towed to the dealer the other day

pup5581

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Sport
I have a '14 Sport with 44K on it now.

Was out at lunch with some cowokers. Came out and it started fine. Put it in reverse and as soon as i let up on the break it said rear collision failure and it just died. Power was still on and everything..but it wouldn't start..gave me every error message possible. My code reader couldn't even read the VIN.'

So i got it towed 55 miles home. Dealer said the relay to the ECU failed. So power was fine with but it wasn't powering the main components. They said it's very rare for that to fail. But luckily it was only about $179 to fix (of course it happens when my warranty goes last month).

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I have a 14 sport and have not had that issue. But I did have a trailer lighting fuse blow. Culprit? Spiders/spider nest in that fuse socket! Killed the little bugger too. Fortunately I fixed it at a gas station with a new fuse. I noticed te other day that there was a large spider web in the spare tire area. Seems I may need to do some spider hunting soon! It's not too uncommon of an issue with vehicles. Wonder if your relay shotted due to a spider?

Back