clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
"haha your only 2wd?!"

I get that alot from my frendz... I've got my lifted mountaineer with fat tires and a bunch of extra's.. and sometimes i just cant compete to even a stock 4x4 in the sand or mudd... My friend's got a stock tacoma 4x4 with bald Ass tires and he unstoppable when it comes to mashin around.. Just last night was the only night he was stopped.. He blew a tire running over a mattress(a long story)..And me, i cant even mash through soft sand without getting stuck!!! err!... But anyways.. I just wanted to write this post to help all the other 2wd people out there... What can the 2wd people do to compete with the 4wd?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a 4wd lol no the truth is you never can compete with a 4wd but get some good tires and you will do alot better

man.. i've already got 32" mudds!! err!! I should juss stick to prerunning.. I kno if i go really fast, i wont get stuck!:D

lol yeah i wasnt sure what tires u already had i know how u feel i had a 2wd f350 it sucked but yeah hit it as fast as you can momentum will get u through it

lol it was a f 250

306944_15_full.jpg

THATS A 2WD!!...

that looks pretty darn good my friend but you cant expect it to be a 4wd what are you getting stuck in i would think that would go through ur average mudhole with a little speed

I remember back in the day when I was like you. :D

Dead Link Removed
I was 2WD there!

But yeah, somtimes you just need 4WD. The worst is having a RWD V8 in the snow! Convert dude.. you won't look back!

wow section ur truck is one of my favorites i never thought u were 2wd at one time i guess that explains why i couldnt figure out your awd addition i thought u just changes from 4wd to awd or something now i know nice truck

do you have a locker?

Get a locker first off....disconnect the rear swaybar for more flex, and you should be set....

run nitrous, stick a spool in the rearend, and run boggers out back. :D

Convert to 4x4. There are a few people on the site getting rid of their front ends, replacing them with solid axles, so you shouldn't have too much trouble locating one. The transfer case shouldn't be too hard to find either. Then you'll just need front and rear driveshafts off of a 4x4 model, and a new tailshaft and tailshaft housing on your transmission.
And it probably wouldn't cost much more than adding nitrous, a spool, and boggers. ;)

I have 2wd

When and if someone questions my 2 WD Explorer I Just say that I prefer not to take a $26,000 vehicle in the mud anyhow. I bought it new in 2001 and it hasnt gotten stuck in anything yet. I live on a dirt road in Michigan, where we get heavy snow too.

I feel your pain clark, I used to get my 2wd ranger stuck out at pismo every time. I would go out there to rent some quads for the day. When it would be time to leave the wind blew enough sand around that I could not get out without a push.

First thing you need is a locker in the rear. On packed dirt and rock this will be as good as any stock 4x4 that has open diffs. However on sand and mud you really need true 4wd.

i see all the lights, the tires and the grille guard, why didnt you just spend that money on 4wd in the first place?

On rocks and such I can normally keep up with 4x4s. On gritty and fairly packed sand too. Also I can usually do ok in mud if I keep my momentum up.

In sand and mud, you're really at a disadvantage. You need a locker or a really good limited slip (I have an Eaton). I also helps me that I have gobs of torque from my supercharger to kinda make up for lack of low range. The 4.30 gears help out too.

Clark your truck is reallll tight AS IS man...put in a locker and then suprise your bro's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no replacement for true 4 wheel drive. Get a front differential, and get a locker in the front and rear. Then you can go wherever you want. The best mod you can make is to have a pair of locking differentials. Nevermind this talk of limited slips. Low gearing is the next best thing you can do to your truck, and you can't get as low gearing, no matter what you put in the differentials, to make up for the lack of low range. Low Range multiplies your gear ratio (using the stock BW numbers) by 2.42. Think about that. If you had 3.73 gears stock, to compensate for no low range, you would need a 9.026 ring gear. And nobody makes that.

Everything works in Moab, to some degree. The rocks there are like sandpaper. So to say 'it does well in Rocks' is misleading, because you can take that same truck over to Tellico's rocks, which aren't of sandpaper consistency, and you won't make it far.
I had a 9" lift with 35's and a rear locker last time I was there, and I still had trouble. The next time I go, (in about three weeks) The front will be locked, I'll be on 36's with beadlocks, and 4.88 gears and I still won't have the same kind of traction that a stock 2wd with open differentials can get at Moab.

Back