Has anybody bought wheels with TPMS from TireRack? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anybody bought wheels with TPMS from TireRack?

JustB_Rad

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Has anybody done this and made sure they work with the Ex? I'm thinking about getting a set of winter wheels with winter tires, and having them mount and balance with the TPMS sensors, but I'm worried that they won't work.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tire Rack is an excellent vendor. If they say it will work, I'd trust them. But, I don't know the actual procedure to make this work on the new Explorer.

I'm in St. Louis this week on business. It's 100 degrees. Winter? LOL!

On my last set of tires (Bridgestone Allenza's), with my 2007 Eddie Bauer, Tire Rack did the install at their Indiana warehouse. The best tire & mounting & balancing job I have ever received.

Has anybody done this and made sure they work with the Ex? I'm thinking about getting a set of winter wheels with winter tires, and having them mount and balance with the TPMS sensors, but I'm worried that they won't work.

Thanks!
Did you try getting a quote from your local Ford dealership? I was thinking of putting the base model 17" steel wheels on my Limited for winter tires. Dealer said he could order a wheel to see if it fits before committing to buying them. Back in March the price was $174/wheel. A few weeks ago it had dropped to $99/wheel (CDN). I believe the TPMS sensor was quoted at $54 each in March. The parts manager also said that Ford does not release wheel specs to the dealerships and that is why he said he could not say if the 17" wheel would fit without ordering one and trying it first.

Guys, the new Explorer, with AWD, does a GREAT job in the snow with the OEM (Hankook) tires. Try it. Wear 'em out, and then maybe replace with something different.

Guys, the new Explorer, with AWD, does a GREAT job in the snow with the OEM (Hankook) tires. Try it. Wear 'em out, and then maybe replace with something different.

I ended up with Michelin's on my AWD XLT.....all that means for me is I have 4 spinning tires now instead of 2. I only asked the question now because I have to decide when to order. They're not the most popular Blizzaks that I'm looking at, so they'll probably sell out early, so I don't wanna get caught without them.

Back