Has Anyone Changed Out the Filler Neck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has Anyone Changed Out the Filler Neck?

BobRob

Reaction score
City, State
Loudon NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Mine's leaking where the upper part meets the rubber hose section and I'm going to just change the whole thing back to the tank.

Anything I should be aware of, like does the tank have to come out, and special gaskets or seals needed?

The Ford parts diagram on line isn't very specific and forum searches have been light on details for this generation.

Thanks! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having only looked at fuel pump replacement threads, if you want to go back to the tank, you probably have to drop it. Look into some fuel pump threads for pics. You'll see where the hose feeds in.

Having only looked at fuel pump replacement threads, if you want to go back to the tank, you probably have to drop it. Look into some fuel pump threads for pics. You'll see where the hose feeds in.

Yeah, I looked at a ton of threads but I guess nothing works better than crawling under the truck.

Anyhoo, I went ahead and changed it out this morning and was I EVER glad I did. No need to drop the tank.

Here's what it looked like after i took the old one out:

Neck_zpsm7bl9pip.jpg

Never happy unless I can see exactly why it was leaking, I gave the metal tube a slight twist to see if it would come apart and that's about all it took:

rusty%202_zps5msboys0.jpg

So, if your Explorer starts leaking gas from the fill tube while you're filling it, I'd get on this pronto. As you can see, there was nothing but rust holding this thing together. I feel very fortunate that this didn't blow apart while I was filling it up. The only evidence I had was a couple of drops on the ground the last couple of times I got gas.

It only took about an hour to change and cost was $145 shipped so it was well worth the $$.

Yeah, I looked at a ton of threads but I guess nothing works better than crawling under the truck.

Anyhoo, I went ahead and changed it out this morning and was I EVER glad I did. No need to drop the tank.

Here's what it looked like after i took the old one out:

Neck_zpsm7bl9pip.jpg

Never happy unless I can see exactly why it was leaking, I gave the metal tube a slight twist to see if it would come apart and that's about all it took:

rusty%202_zps5msboys0.jpg

So, if your Explorer starts leaking gas from the fill tube while you're filling it, I'd get on this pronto. As you can see, there was nothing but rust holding this thing together. I feel very fortunate that this didn't blow apart while I was filling it up. The only evidence I had was a couple of drops on the ground the last couple of times I got gas.

It only took about an hour to change and cost was $145 shipped so it was well worth the $$.

What part number is the part?

I had the same problem. Mine would not let me fill up the tank quick. It took forever. I went to the locally owned parts store in town and got a metal nipple and a smaller diamter hose and extended the rubber section up the filler neck a little farther. total cost about $10.

I had the same problem. Mine would not let me fill up the tank quick. It took forever. I went to the locally owned parts store in town and got a metal nipple and a smaller diamter hose and extended the rubber section up the filler neck a little farther. total cost about $10.

That was my first plan, but I couldn't find any 1.25" hose locally and figured if I was gonna order parts, I'd just as soon get the whole thing. As rusty as it was, I'm glad I did.

Instead of starting a new topic, mine has a leak at the end of that rubber hose where it connects to a white plastic looking area in the tank. The leak is leaking from the bottom of the plastic. Any ideas what part I need to get to fix it? Pic below

25u00m1.jpg

Done 4 filler necks in past 2 yrs on cars due to evap codes. No tank removal needed

I have been experiencing a P0442 code for a couple of months now. Thought it might be the gas cap until today when I filled up and noticed gas leaking from under the truck and onto the ground. Looks like it is coming from the top of the tank. I assume this is where the filler neck is attached.

So I'm in the middle of this same job, and I ran into a problem. I'm wondering if you saw the same thing, and how did you handle it? I'm at the library trying to find some information in ALLDATA, so I can't post pics until later.

At the top of the fuel filler neck is a small-diameter return line comprised of a metal line attached to the filler neck, and a hose with a hose clamp. The new filler neck I purchased has the metal line, but does not include a hose.

For my life, I cannot get the small-diameter rubber hose off of the metal tube. I can twist the hose and pull it back about 1/2 inch, but it won't come off (but it WILL bunch up). On the existing metal tube, it looks like there is a plastic coating that is VERY well-bonded to the metal tube. I'm wondering if it is actually a hose liner or something. It would explain why the hose is bunching instead of slipping off the filler neck.

So, did you come across this when you were doing the repair? How did you handle it?

Thanks,

Alan

Ok, here's a pic of the problem part. Did you come across the same thing, and how did you handle it?

Screenshot-2015-12-12_17.07.05_zpsaq4x2qrs.jpg

My old filler neck was stuck on pretty good. I sprayed it with LPS oil and pryed it with a screwdriver to get it off. Then had to clean / scrape the rust from inside the rubber hose

My old filler neck was stuck on pretty good. I sprayed it with LPS oil and pryed it with a screwdriver to get it off. Then had to clean / scrape the rust from inside the rubber hose

Pretty much the same thing I did. I had to use a little petrolatum (Vaseline) on the end of the new metal tube to get the hose to slide back on.

I do not remember coming across that plastic liner thing either.

Many filler necks have a plastic insert that creates the threads needed for the cap. At that transition from metal to plastic they can leak.

Back