Has anyone had to replace their 5.0L due to mechanical failure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had to replace their 5.0L due to mechanical failure?

Has your five-oh failed you?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters

greenbeer

Another day, Another dent
Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
If you have please state why and how many miles. I want to know what I need to do or not do to make it last. Also, how about your tranny? Again, miles and reason. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I voted yes for the tranny. Mine only lasted me about 85k before it went out. I had serviced the tranny twice before this with a full flush and good quality fluid but it still managed to kick the bucket.

As far as the engine, i vote yes and no. It did fail me, but it wasn't because of wear and tear or age or lack of maintenance. I managed to suck in a lot of water and broke a rod and bent another one. Before I did this, the engine was running perfect and didn't burn or leak drop of oil anywhere. It ran as good as the day i bought it with 125k miles on it.

Attachments

• Ooops.jpg
    Ooops.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 425

Install a transmission valve body kit as soon as possible. There are improvement kits which increase the reliability of most models. I prefer TransGo because they start with a kit to correct factory quirks. For common high performance models they make real shift kits. Good luck,

No problems with my tranny or engine. 157,000 on both. I have replaced the transfer case as the chain had stretched out and was starting to slip at around 145,000. A rebuild on that and it would be ok again. Pretty stout setup for the explorer, the 5.0 and the 4r70w that is.

Well yes and no. Durimng the first month of owning the mountaineer(we bougfht it new in 96) a piston broke. Other than that it has been lawless. 137 grand on the od.

Nope, Had a 96 that was well maintained and was still truckin at 143,000
Currently, ive got a 99 with 123,000 with no problems whatsoever.

Man, there is no way my wife would let me put my pistons on the dining room table.
I broke a header bolt into my passenger side head at 102k, be careful of that. The leak isn't because it's loose, it's cracked (manifold)
Take normal care, add an additional transmission cooler, use amsoil synthetic fluids (mobil1oil) and it should be a horse for a long time

engine is still running strong at around 130k miles.
tranny went out around 120k miles (I think?). Mainly due to the fact that NO service had been done on it (well, may have been flushed, but the pan was never dropped), and I'm pretty sure I had sucked in quite a bit of water.

i keep having problems with my exhaust manifold and intake manifold if its not one its the other

i have not had any problems with my 96 ex 175k and ticking!
its amazing but the engine runs like new

my dads '97 with 85k miles..

pass side header cracked around 65k miles...thats it

otherwise the motor and tranny have allways worked flawlessly.

Back