Head Gasket Advice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Head Gasket Advice

yea, guess I missed the new Rad. in that case i would do a check to make sure that your water pump is working properly, and if that's the case, try the heater core. But again, i do strongly suggest the UV dye. Run with the dye for a little while, then bust out the black light (works best in the evening) if you cant find a leak on the outside of the engine, disconnect the coil pack and crank the engine over, then pull plugs and look for signs of dye on the plugs, and in the cyl,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This morning with my cooling system...

Sounds like the making of a series!!

The temp gauge was all over the place and the heat was blowing ice cold (it's cold here). The heat came on at some point and went from warm to hot to cool to warm...

When I got back home, the gauge was up to "L", the heat was warm (not hot) and the reservoir was up to the rim with evidence that it had overflowed but the fluid was cold(!). The reservoir hose from the rad to the reservoir was cold, too.

If the coolant was low enough in the rad to prevent circulation to the heater core, why wouldn't the rad pull coolant out of the reservoir???

Really strange!!

This morning with my cooling system...

When I got back home, the gauge was up to "L", the heat was warm (not hot) and the reservoir was up to the rim with evidence that it had overflowed but the fluid was cold(!). The reservoir hose from the rad to the reservoir was cold, too.

Well it is pin pointed to 1 of 2 things. Either 1) your water pump isn't sending coolant to the heater core OR 2) your heater core is so clogged that it's causing all your grief.

Since changing the heater core is A) cheaper and B) easier to get to than the water pump. Change it first to see if your problems aren't solved.

With your "gauge was up to "L" the heat was warm (not hot)" is a direct red flag for the heater core.

Mine in 12-2010 (when I got it) gauge up to the "L" no heat at all, would drop down and go back up. After I changed the heater core no more problems.

mr. cribb,

That's what i'm thinking', too!!!

Thanks for the back-up.

Will report on the heater core project.

Thanks VERY much, guys!!!

... anything I should know about the heater core operation??

... anything I should know about the heater core operation??

No it's pretty straight forward. It's a miniature radiator it has a heater hose going in and out.

4 screws on the box from the inside of the truck, 2 hose clamps on heater hoses on the firewall. (You may want to remove the air box to get better access to the heater hoses).

While your messing with the heater core may be a good time to add a heater control bypass valve. You hook it up to a vacuum line that is controlled via the "Max a/c" setting on the control head.

What that will do is keep the hot water from going into the heater box (where the a/c evaporator is too) so your a/c will work better in the summer.

I Know there is a thread about adding this on here somewhere. IIRC, the place to tap into the vacuum line is under/behind the glove box. I think Its the same line that moves the recirculate door.

~Mark

edit: I found one of the posts.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190431&highlight=heater+control+bypass

Picked-up the heater core but, didn't get a chance to install, today.

Water pump question:

What are the symptoms of a failed water pump?? A water pump either works or it doesn't - no??

There's no such thing as an intermittent water pump, is there???

water pumps generally have a small hole that will drip antifreeze when the interior lining wears out,not sure 4.0's are the same or not. With the loss of coolant and no signs of it leaking leads me to believe your lower intake gaskets may be shot, also the stumble at start up, also wouldn't rule out cracked heads or head gaskets. Possible leaking injectors could cause your startup issue ass well.

Gather 'round my brothers!!

For I (we) have slain the cooling system demon and cast him (or her) from this realm and I want to regale you with stories of my adventure!!

I installed the heater core, this afternoon and lo and behold, things have changed!!

I took my trusty steed on a fair trot, for 45 minutes, or so. Open highway and stop and go... and she performed mightily.

The needle remained near the "N" (just before, mostly) and fluctuated in a narrow range just below the "N", after reaching running temperature. She never went above the "N"!!! (The little bit of fluctuation, I'm chalking up to air working it's way out.

The heat remained consistent and high throughout!! And, BEST of all... NO BOIL OVER, NO FLUID LOSS!!!

I humbly submit that this prideful talk could land me in yet another dire circumstance but lo brothers, I can scarcely contain my joy!! For this I will gladly atone!

I thank you all for your help and loyal dedication...

Please brothers, stay close for a prologue to come in a fortnight to confirm such fine news!!

Adieu!

The needle remained near the "N" (just before, mostly) and fluctuated in a narrow range just below the "N", after reaching running temperature. She never went above the "N"!!! (The little bit of fluctuation, I'm chalking up to air working it's way out.

You should replace the temp sender for the gauge (1 wire one) because a stock temp t-stat is supposed to read right around the "O".

Mine read where yours did and this was the issue. AZ tried selling me one that was $10... on the screen they had a valucraft brand for $6... I bought that one back in October... no issues with the cheaper temp sender.

Holy crap!!! You're NOT gonna believe this!!!

No sooner do I pen the above exaltation, I go down to fire up the old mare to pick-up the kid and the starter refuses to engage!!! Spins but will NOT engage - screeching sound - motor doesn't turn over!!!!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS???

The evil forces have exacted swift revenge!!!

*******S!!!

...unbelievable.

mr. cribb - thanks!!! i'll give it a go.

1993 Ford Explorer XLT: RIP

Okay, now you're REALLY NOT going to believe this!

I took Ol' Red to to have the starter installed - don't like to crawl under a jacked-up vehicle on a Brooklyn street.

As it was raised above my head, it fell!!!

ON ITS SIDE!!!

http://dannybright.com/Foto/Dropped%...ploprer XLT/

This happened last Thursday... I'm still recovering.

A sad day, indeed!!

:(

Ouch, sorry for your loss man.

Wow... I swapped my starter w/ it on the ground.... Well fixing the battery cable. That sucks man... Was this someone you trusted for years? Because I've used many lifts and only had one issue like that. However I could tell about a foot from the ground.

:(

Man, that sucks! Are you going to be compensated?

You know how it goes... never enough.

She was worth more to me right side up than as an insurance check. I had more into it than I'll get.

My kid was in tears!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back