Headlight Amber Lens Tint | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Amber Lens Tint

I emailed Galpin Auto Sports (I'm about a 20 min drive away from them) to see how much they'd charge me to do my headlights (HID ballasts/projectors/bulbs, angel eyes, clear amber reflector, glow tubing). No word back yet.

The ExLED product seems interesting. I wonder if they are completely shape-able. It seems white in color when off. I like that the plexiglass/acrylic is clear when off (not to mention it would be much cheaper). Does anyone know of any pics of the ExLEDs actually installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a response...not much help, but I'll share it anyway:

RESPONSE EMAIL FROM Michael Mackellar of GALPIN AUTO SPORTS:

Sean
I am not sure where we got the materials for that vehicle as we built it years ago. If I were to guess I would say it was from a local plastic supply store that sales plexiglass dowels. We would have then heated them up and put LED lights at the ends of the dowels to shoot the light through the entire rod.

Hope this helps.

Soon

i was thinking of taking my XSport to the place that tinted my windows and having them tint the orange part of my headlights. has anyone else done this?:D
TMack, I am actually having the tint place do just this on Monday when they tint my windows. So I should have an update on how they look by Tuesday. I decided to try it since they refused to wrap my handles in vinyl due to warranty concerns.

I emailed Galpin Auto Sports (I'm about a 20 min drive away from them) to see how much they'd charge me to do my headlights (HID ballasts/projectors/bulbs, angel eyes, clear amber reflector, glow tubing). No word back yet.

The ExLED product seems interesting. I wonder if they are completely shape-able. It seems white in color when off. I like that the plexiglass/acrylic is clear when off (not to mention it would be much cheaper). Does anyone know of any pics of the ExLEDs actually installed?

Hey Laker, yes they are totally flexible..

Here are some vids
http://youtu.be/hVj2P8z5KKw

http://youtu.be/HRfXVIH5VA4

I think the best way to fit them would be like the new Mercedes ML suv

TMack, I am actually having the tint place do just this on Monday when they tint my windows. So I should have an update on how they look by Tuesday. I decided to try it since they refused to wrap my handles in vinyl due to warranty concerns.

Can't wait to see before and after pics!

Blinker tint done

Got mine tinted today and im super happy once again.. $40 for both sides..:D
photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

sorry i beat ya!!!!! Im super happy!!!

lets see yours. :D

Wish I could have went that dark with mine

lets see yours. :D
Got mine done twice because I was pulled over 2 miles from the tint shop for the headlight tint and had to have them lightened.

So I matched the tint effect from the taillights for now. Sorry for the quality took them with my cellphone before leaving for the airport this morning.

Before:
_20140420_124036_zpswvljxv1y.jpg

After:
5_172734_zpsgcqbvx1_edit_1399377168911_zpsz8ltrkiv.jpg

IMG_20140505_172707_zpsqxogz9bp.jpg

IMG_20140505_172720_zps5xldottk.jpg

Got mine done twice because I was pulled over 2 miles from the tint shop for the headlight tint and had to have them lightened.

So I matched the tint effect from the taillights for now. Sorry for the quality took them with my cellphone before leaving for the airport this morning.

Before:
_20140420_124036_zpswvljxv1y.jpg

After:
5_172734_zpsgcqbvx1_edit_1399377168911_zpsz8ltrkiv.jpg

IMG_20140505_172707_zpsqxogz9bp.jpg

IMG_20140505_172720_zps5xldottk.jpg

Got pulled over? For what??
Did u tint the clear over the headlight too?
I just had the orange part tinted.. Hope I have no issues with the police.
What did the police say and do?

Got pulled over? For what??
Did u tint the clear over the headlight too?
I just had the orange part tinted.. Hope I have no issues with the police.
What did the police say and do?

The cops around here love harassing people for tint (basically I pass 15 ghetto civics on my 11 mile drive to work every morning). He just gave me a hard time about it being too dark and obstructing the light output for the blinker. I decided I didn't need the routine hassle and just lightened it up a little. Overall it does have a clean look which I like as well.

The cops around here love harassing people for tint (basically I pass 15 ghetto civics on my 11 mile drive to work every morning). He just gave me a hard time about it being too dark and obstructing the light output for the blinker. I decided I didn't need the routine hassle and just lightened it up a little. Overall it does have a clean look which I like as well.

They went a little darker than I wanted on mine also.
Well see what happens. Yours looks great tho!

For anyone who's had the headlight/signal tinted, how is it holding up? My tint shop recommended against tinting it because they said rocks,bugs,etc would mess it up pretty quickly. But this sounds a million times easier than opening up the headlight housing and tinting/removing the reflector..

I wonder how are these installed, internally or externally. Looks great if it can be internal

Yes they can be installed internally, just have to open up the headlights.

I put lamin x on my wife's CRV. Nice product but you must take your time to put on. We are experiencing weird spider like rays of light from them and laminx said they never heard of such a thing. I would not do them again.

For anyone who's had the headlight/signal tinted, how is it holding up? My tint shop recommended against tinting it because they said rocks,bugs,etc would mess it up pretty quickly. But this sounds a million times easier than opening up the headlight housing and tinting/removing the reflector..
I've only had them on my Sport for a day, but I did have my 2012 XLT tinted on the whole headlight and they looked basically the same as the first day I had them installed after 1yr 8mo and 16,000 miles. I may just have had good luck with mine though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its easy and they are very tough. Will help against bugs and rocks and etc
http://www.lamin-x.com/Ford-Explorer-Limited-XL-11-Headlight-Covers-p/f536.htmhttp://www.lamin-x.com/Ford-Explorer-Limited-XL-11-Headlight-Covers-p/f536.htm

FYI ensure your correct year and choices are picked, the sizes of some of these depend on the correct trim being chosen.

I ordered the light gunsmoke for my LIM EX and never put them on. I don't really like the blacked out or tinted out look on the lights.

Back