headlight switch connector question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headlight switch connector question

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
So I had some intermittent blinking of my interior lights. Knowing the ol fried headlight switch issues we sometimes have, I pulled the dash and pulled the switch and its connector....
Burned.jpg

Yeah. Ouch! And the switch is getting replaced too. The resistance and heat there got the switch too.

Anyway, I purchased a new plug at AutoZone. It's *almost* identical. First, the OEM connector...

Old_harn.JPG

Above is the stock connector. Notice the two brown wires coming out of the center socket. Per my wiring manual those two wires go to the rear (tail lights). Unless I'm mis-reading my diagram (which is possible)

Now look at the connector I got from AutoZone...

New_harn.JPG

As you can see, one brown wire coming from that same center socket. Now the big question for you electrical guys...

Will I be ok splicing the one into the two? Thanks for any insight

Sure, no problem. If you had two small wires coming from the connector position, and the new connector has one large one, then splicing is the right thing to do.

On the two brown wires, one goes to the taillights. The other triggers the chime for leaving your lights on.

Ok thanks.

Those extra wires on the left side of the new connector -- from what I gather those are for things like Daytime Running Lights or other features that my truck doesn't have. That would be the yellow-black and orange-black wires in the pic. I guess I will just leave them to dangle in there.

Second wire is for tow package. (trailer lights) just splice them together like roadrunner said.

Back