Headlight Switch Wiring Diagram for Visor Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Switch Wiring Diagram for Visor Install

Metalface

Reaction score
City, State
East Coast US
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Alright, thanks to the millions of threads about the melty wire switch problem that many have had though I personally have not, it has been a chore to try to find (unearth as an archeologist,) a diagram thread for the headlight switch on 2nd gen. Plenty of 02 and up threads. The few I did find had dead links or cryptic dead end login to view file situations.

Are the wires the same for the 02, 03 Explorers..? Can I follow those diagrams? I did find those.

Thankfully my question, though, isn't to know the entire diagram of all the wires. Though I wouldn't mind that either!
Does anyone have information as to which wire/pin I need to splice into to have power on my Moon Visor when the orange/amber side lights in the headlight assy. are on? They are on all the time except high beams I believe, maybe they're on with the his, I don't remember. But I only really care for them to be on whenever the orange side lights are on, anyway so no big deal.
Already got the dash apart and thought it would be less of a fossil digging excursion to find this info, unfortunately it is there but inaccessible, or there are threads that never got replied to, that I have found. Maybe I'm missing one, fingers crossed someone can shoot me a link straight to a thread I missed. Ty!

Easier in the long run to just get all the 2nd gen wiring diagrams linked in my sig.

I was about to attach the headlight wiring diagram, but that's not really what you need as it only shows the headlights. Instead you're wanting the park lamp or side marker wire on the exterior lights diagram I have attached instead.

However, note on it that there is a single circuit, wire and 15A fuse to power the multiple (6?) parking/marker lights. There may not be a lot of current margin left in that circuit to power more, unless you were just going to tap in to trigger a relay you add. I suppose you can just add up the current of everything, wattage per bulb divided by 12V to see what total current is on that circuit or worst case, try a direct tap then if the fuse blows, you know you went over the limit... as long as you use major brand fuses as generics are notorious for not blowing at their specified rating.

If you want to tap into it behind the dash, it's the brown wire coming from the relay box with the park lamp relay in it. That relay box is up from the driver's footwell, right side. Might be easier to try to tap in elsewhere but if you have the dash apart anyway, IDK what access you have.

relay-box under dash on '98.jpg

Relay Box Interior 1998 XLT.JPG

Attachments

• exterior-lights-exterior-lamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 42

Thank you! Ok makes sense. Yeah, figured as much with the fuse and if I overdid it or not. I figure if most are LEDs of higher efficiency than halogen bulbs it might not be a crazy amount of draw, but I do like to make things idiot proof. Sometimes, I am the idiot.
if it is the brown wire, then it might be similar for the wiring on the threads I found that were for 3rd gen! Thank you. I will be DLing every one of those diagrams and possibly even printing out and laminating them for future generations LOL.

Back