• Register Today It's free!

Heater Core.....Replace it?

kevalmiller

Reaction score
City, State
Dillsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT AWD V8
I just spent the last 7 weeks (it seems) removing my dash to fix the infamous "blend door" problem. Since it would take the same amount of work to replace the heater core, I am considering replacing it at the same time. Is there a good way to test the old one so I can be sure I'm not just throwing away money? There are no leaks visible on the one that was in it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I'd replace it. Depending on mileage and age - it'd be a good idea. How good are you coolant flushes? If you treated your cooling system well - you might be ok without replacing it

-Drew

Personally I'd replace it. Depending on mileage and age - it'd be a good idea. How good are you coolant flushes? If you treated your cooling system well - you might be ok without replacing it

-Drew

I've treated it well for the last 8000 miles, but I've got no idea about the first 142K. :D

Over 100,000 I would spend the $50.00? on a new heater core and now would be a good time to replace the heater hoses too. Check your other hoses to.

KevalMiller - Awile back, my first explorer was a 1991 Eddie Buer addition. I had around the same miles as you currently do and I started smelling an "ati-freeze" type smell when the heater was on. Then I started to notice my passenger side floor damp with water. It turned out to be the heater core leaking.

The replacement wasn't as bad as I thought and I seem to remember it taking around maybe 2 hours. I'm sure it can be done faster but I'm sort of take my time when working on the cars.

I think I'd go ahead and replace it while you're at it.

I didnt feel like doing it twice so I went to Ford and picked up a new one for about 50$. Thats like rebuilding an engine and leaving the old oil pump or timing chain in it, is it really worth saving a few? If you are actually selling it within a few weeks ok you might leave it.

Are they really $50 for the second gen's? Mine was only $15 for my 91 a couple of years ago.

AutoZone.com.

Heater Core for a
1995 Ford Truck Explorer 2WD

TRANSPRO 398341 LLT $69.99

KevalMiller - Awile back, my first explorer was a 1991 Eddie Buer addition. I had around the same miles as you currently do and I started smelling an "ati-freeze" type smell when the heater was on. Then I started to notice my passenger side floor damp with water. It turned out to be the heater core leaking.

The replacement wasn't as bad as I thought and I seem to remember it taking around maybe 2 hours. I'm sure it can be done faster but I'm sort of take my time when working on the cars.

I think I'd go ahead and replace it while you're at it.
Some people think that they are in a race or something trying to do things fast.

Well guys....I did change the heater core, and yes it cost about $50.00. ROCKAUTO.COM (yes I am a fan) had four different options for the heater core all ranging from $39-46. I have found their prices to be consistently cheaper than about anyone else. Great website too. You do pay shipping, so that brought it to about $50, but that's still a $20 savings over Auto Zone. Also...don't bother paying for expedited shipping. Their parts have consistently arrived 2nd day even when I pay for the cheap shipping.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Back