hello, recently acquired v8 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hello, recently acquired v8 explorer

uptonfg

Reaction score
City, State
elberta,al
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer v8 90 ranger
swapped a 2000 nissan sentra to a coworker for this 2wd explorer. really clean truck. ive had a few 302s in my day [ lincoln,cougar,h.o.mustang]but this explorer motor really interests me. gt40 upper and lower? lightning and cobra right? and either the gt40 or p heads? should be 240 250 horse probably more with headers. not the what 215 its got. ive read forums for days and have decided a route i want to go. lil off topic but i read a post saying ford letter camshafts suck. i highly disagree...dude must think he knows more than ford does. ok heres my few questions. #1 why does all camshafts for this application say not compatible with explorer eec-v what makes it not compatible? my truck is mass air equipped. wanting to run an e-303. my parts guy recommends a melling cam near 500 lift but said also wont work with eec-v. i was thinking because its obd2 i wasnt going to run into these problems. #2 are there mods i can make to be able to run a larger cam? tuner,programmer #3 will ranger v8 swap headers work or am i stuck paying torque monster price? i can add o2 bungs to any header. ive already removed the rear cats and stacked some super 44s under it. thanks in advance for any and all help. never introduced myself, im jon i live in elberta,al and work in pensacola,fl. glad to be part of any ford related forum. i bleed ford blue. first car was a 62 390 galaxie and been hooked since. im a ranger station regular as well as you tube with a channel full of my 90 boport ranger,radio controls and 4x4s. peace

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the quick response but wow 26 pages on one thread. alot there to dig through to find the few things i need to know. will the truck run if i install an e-303. run well enough to drive to get it tuned?

exhaust restrictions

I suspect changes to increase engine breathing will be disappointing because of the restriction of the stock exhaust manifolds. At this time the availability of Torque Monster headers seems questionable. The only alternative is custom headers. I would solve the header issue before investing in other significant performance enhancements.

exhaust

yeah i plan on doing a few things at once. i have a cracked manifold on the right side. so headers,camshaft and timing chain. there just seems to be no header options.ranger v8 swap headers?planning on pulling motor since im gonna change headers and cam at the same time with a few other things. do you think the explorer exhaust is more restrictive than a stock 5.0 mustangs? think the lower power numbers are more cause of the exhaust than the cam? also it seems the e-303 cam fits 85-95 hyd.roller 302s...will it fit my 97?

could someone be a lil more in depth on there reply. this info is pretty vague

Back