*** HELP *** 92 XLT Sputtering in OD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*** HELP *** 92 XLT Sputtering in OD

MustangDos

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT / '93 XLT
This just started happening about 2 weeks ago. I drive 110 miles a day. While going up one of the mountains here in WVA, I noticed the engine starting to sputter while in OD. I dropped it down into Drive and went up the mountain just fine. When I got to the top and stated back down the other side, I put it back into OD and coasted down the other side with out a problem. When I got to level ground and had to hit the gas again, the engine started to sputter again. Mind you, there was no hill or mountain at this point, and only when I was in the gas. For the last week, I have been leaving it in Drive while I am under 55 mph. As soon as I get on the highway, I put it back into OD and deal with the sputtering.

Can anyone point me into the right direction to look?! I am really hoping that it is not the Tranny...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid?
And is the "sputtering" you describe more of a "shudder" or does it literally sound like the engine is going to just die?

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid?
And is the "sputtering" you describe more of a "shudder" or does it literally sound like the engine is going to just die?

Transmission Fluid?! What is this Transmission Fluid you speak of!? Seriously, I couldn't tell you...I have only had it since January. I didn't think of that as the rest of the gears are fine, but I will changing it this weekend.

I guess it is more of a "shudder", or a "surge". It does it on and off as I am in the gas...Very annoying...but I don't loose power.

Changed your air and fuel filters yet? Especially fuel filter? How many miles on it?

Changed your air and fuel filters yet? Especially fuel filter? How many miles on it?

Yeah...both have been changed, but, if those were the problem, I should have the same symptoms no matter if it was in OD or regular Drive. Sounds more like a Transmission issue...Once I change out the fluid this weekend, I will give her a good work out...182k miles and counting....

Ok...The transmission filter & fluid have been changed...Everything seems to be working great now...man, I feel about this big...:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help!!!

Back