Help! Brake lines on the 8.8???

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
Ok im in the process of swapping in a D4 8.8 from the junk yard and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get these brake lines out.....
picture.php

picture.php

any help is much apprieciated!

-Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats a spring clip, see the silver metal piece on top of the bracket? Bend all the fingers in with needle nose pliers, working around it, until the ends of the fingers fit inside the hole, then the line will pull straight down and out

Yeah B, its a spring clip. You can either use a flathead screvvdriver of a pair of needle nose pliers but the idea is you compress one of those tabs, yank on the cable and kind of towards one side so that the compresed tab goes into the hole. Then do the other tabs.

Tip for this

notice there are 3 expansion tabs inside the bracket ring,

line one of them up with the gap in the ring, that way you only have to fight 2 of the expansion tabs-

once it is lined up, use a pair of channel locks to squeeze in the other 2.

you see the bracket in the upper right corner of the first picture? It was a control arm type thing that ive never seen before on a explorer. It came of a 96 xlt....Mines a 99...My question is...are they going to be hitting on my frame at full flex? Should I cut them off before I install it?

Use a 1/2 inch or 13 mm box end wrench and push it over the end of the cable. It will collapse the fingers enough to slip the cable through the mounting hole.

you see the bracket in the upper right corner of the first picture? It was a control arm type thing that ive never seen before on a explorer. It came of a 96 xlt....Mines a 99...My question is...are they going to be hitting on my frame at full flex? Should I cut them off before I install it?

those brackets were from the "traction-bars" that came OEM on the 5.0 Sploders.

It is stock, just not from a V6.

You'll be fine with them there.

Back