Help Misfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KillerKidd42

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer sport
i had replaced the intake gaskets upper and lower a little over a month ago to fix a rough idle. it worked for a while but now i am getting a misfire my cel is blinking and my car has a major loss in power and the dash flickers on and off radio restarts. i am receiving two codes at first i was just getting p0302 and the a day later i received p0304 i reset the codes and they are popping up ten miles down the road anyone have any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay p0302 is cylinder 2 misfire and p0304 is cylinder 4 misfire so my guess would be if u did not have misfire before ur gasket replacment u probably didnt put gasket on right, and its leaking into those cylinders and duding out the spark so to make sure pull cylinder 2 and 4 and check for any wetness.

maybe a peice of dirt could have got between intake and gasket or the peice of old gasket by chance. so its something worth checking into let me know how it goes. goodluck!

Thread moved.

I doubt a leaking intake gasket would cause a misfire before it would cause a lean condition code. I think you have a fuel delivery issue, but first check a few things.

Try re seating the large PCM connector along the firewall.

Then replace the spark plugs--check wires. Pay close attention to the #2 and #4 plug, compare it's color to the others--place them in order and take a picture.

I "think" the #2 #4 coils are common in the coil pack--there may be a problem there.

If this checks out you might have a couple bad injectors. Check the electrical connectors, you might have bumped one of them loose.

okay p0302 is cylinder 2 misfire and p0304 is cylinder 4 misfire so my guess would be if u did not have misfire before ur gasket replacment u probably didnt put gasket on right, and its leaking into those cylinders and duding out the spark so to make sure pull cylinder 2 and 4 and check for any wetness.

maybe a peice of dirt could have got between intake and gasket or the peice of old gasket by chance. so its something worth checking into let me know how it goes. goodluck!
And you also recommend E3 plugs? Are you serious? :eek:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3070225&postcount=9

Make sure you check the coil wire. Bad coil/coil wire can cause multiple different cylinder misfires.

These old explorers wont really pop up a lean condition code they are kinda dumb buy ya you may want to ohm direct across your coil pack and make sure all your ohms are pretty close. It could also be an intake leaking coolant into the cyl but its kinda un likey since the affected cyl are across from eachother. I have also seen broken fuel injetor connectors from lazy technicians just start on your ignition system its the easyist part to start.

Back