Help! Oil leak?

splodo49

Ejection seat man..
Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT,75 FJ, 05 Cummins
I was driving down the highway at about 70 mph and noticed i was leaving a good trail of smoke behind me.After taking a good look at my engine i seems to be that the rear main seal is leaking and was burning off the exhaust.But after letting it sit it doesnt seem to be leaking and if it is its very little now.I have checked basically everything and it does seem to be the rear main seal but i dont see how it could leak and then not.One thing i was thinking was that it built up so much pressure that it started to blow it by the seal ( cuz that was the first time in a long time that i drove the ex that fast that long).Or that its always been leaking and just sitting in the bell housing and driving that long just made it to start to come out.Im not sure but any of your advice would nice and greatly appreciated.Also i havent noticed a drastic drop in the oil level and the level hasnt changed since it happened.The oil smells like gas pretty bad and i change it often. I am turnin 34s with stock gears its an auto and has a snorkel and exhaust done.

Could be your fuel pressure regulator:( How is your gas mileage?

Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

The vacuum modulator can leak and this gets sucked into the intake manifold and burns. Other things: Front tranny seal has an occasional leak under load and this burns on exhaust, Rear seal on transfer case sprays on exhaust, and maybe coolant if the presure gets high. Can't imagine gas leak smoking unless you are in flames. Leaking regulator into intake would probably give black smoke. There ought to be some sign of a leak.

:cool:

Check the PCV Valve it could be blocked and building pressure that is not being released in the breather system.

Check the Valve Cover Gaskets, they tend to leak alot.

Luck,

Back