Help on Thermostat Change, 1997 5.0L Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on Thermostat Change, 1997 5.0L Explorer

msgzo2

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport
Help! I dropped the lower bolt for the thermostat housing and can't find it. Any ideas where it may have disappeared off to? I've searched behind the pulleys, under the car, and have taken my magnet and placed it in every hole I can find. I could use all ideas to where it could be, I'm going to purchase a new one tomorrow, however, after working airplanes for 23 years I don't leave anything behind that wasn't there to start with!

Help! I dropped the lower bolt for the thermostat housing and can't find it. Any ideas where it may have disappeared off to? I've searched behind the pulleys, under the car, and have taken my magnet and placed it in every hole I can find. I could use all ideas to where it could be, I'm going to purchase a new one tomorrow, however, after working airplanes for 23 years I don't leave anything behind that wasn't there to start with!

LOL! This is kinda funny. I did the EXACT same thing. The bolt is probably in your waterpump/fan clutch pulley. Start the vehicle. If you here a clink ka clink clink, then that will confirm it.

I used telescopic magnet tool and managed to get mine out.

thanks

The screw has surfaced in the form of sparks and a seized pulley! You were correct in the location, my daughter couldn't wait to drive her car out of my garage and now it's being towed. LOL! I told her to drive mine but who wants to drive their father's car (same car, 5 years newer).

Back