Help please

WormsExplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Durango
I have a 97 explorer sport and I am gonna get a 99 or 2000 rear axle. Can the rear axle speed sensor work on my 97 or do I have to use the speed sensor on the transfer case? Yes transfer case has the speed sensor. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They all have the same sensor, nothing to worry about.

Your 97 is using the VSS from the trans/TC, so no worries unless you swap out the TC etc.

So I understand correctly I can wire the axle speed sensor in to what the Transfer case sensor is and not use the TC sensor?

Why do you want to not use the TC sensor it already uses?

Cause I have another TC that does not have one and was just wondering. I am gonna replace my front hubs and rear axle due to PO (i think) jumped it and it just does not sound right. Gonna replace those first then see how she sounds and see if I need to replace the TC.

I would avoid trying to use the rear ABS in place of the VSS for older(pre-98) PCM's. It may work, hopefully someone will say soon to answer that.

The 98-01's use it by sending it through the ABS module to condition the signal into the VSS signal. I think later computers after 2001 were made to take that same rear ABS signal, with the circuitry in them like the 98-01 ABS modules have.

I have a 97 explorer sport and I am gonna get a 99 or 2000 rear axle. Can the rear axle speed sensor work on my 97 or do I have to use the speed sensor on the transfer case? Yes transfer case has the speed sensor. Thanks in advance.

Cause I have another TC that does not have one and was just wondering. I am gonna replace my front hubs and rear axle due to PO (i think) jumped it and it just does not sound right. Gonna replace those first then see how she sounds and see if I need to replace the TC.

Your posts are confusing here.

Your talking about two different set-ups, and are asking if they can be interchanged with each other?

Here is my best guess at this. Your going to have to keep on waiting for a better answer, or keep on researching, if this makes no sense. lol

They both use a pulse signal sent to the computer, that interprets this, then sends the info to the cluster in the dash for a speed reading on the gauge.

95-97.5 use a VSS mechanical gear driven pulse convertor unit in the T-case.
97.5+ use the ABS sensor in the rear diff, that reads the tone ring as it passes by, and sends the pulse signal.

As far as them both being used, on the same computer, I don't think so.

Earlier PCM is given the correct speed pulse by the size of the drive gears in the t-case, and on the VSS. Change the tire size or the gearing, change the VSS speedo gear by tooth count.

Later PCM get sent the pulse signal based on rotation speed, and this PCM is actually flash programmed to do the math, on individual vehicle programmed information. Change a tire size, flash the PCM. Change the gear ratio, flash the ECM.

It would seem that since both types are sending the same pulse signal, it wouldn't matter, and the PCM's would recognize it, and send the proper info to the cluster. They are indeed different & I don't think so, based on the base programming. Is it possible to re-flash both with proper tuners? Possibly on the 95-97.5, but can't say. Yes on the 97.5+, as that's how it's done. (redundant, I know)

I think your just better off sticking with same year range components, and make it easy on yourself. Sometimes a free or cheap item, costs more in the long run.

I would avoid trying to use the rear ABS in place of the VSS for older(pre-98) PCM's. It may work, hopefully someone will say soon to answer that.
@CDW6212R

Someone may SAY that, but I'll bet they will not sign certified guaranteeing it. Who knows who and how much to religiously believe on some of this more nebulous stuff? imp

@CDW6212R

Someone may SAY that, but I'll bet they will not sign certified guaranteeing it. Who knows who and how much to religiously believe on some of this more nebulous stuff? imp

Yes, these are interesting details that are deep computer questions. These are the biggest issues people have trying to use the 302 Explorer computer systems for engine swaps to different vehicles. Ford like they often do over the decades, made a weird change that no other manufacturer would. It's fine that they moved the ABS sensor to the ring gear in the diff, but using the ABS module to alter it, to change it to a VSS signal, that was odd. That makes the ABS module unique as well as the 98-01 computers.

Back