Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment

squeak

when i turn on my explorer on a cold start it squeals for less than 2 seconds. anyone know what this would be? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The most common 2 second engine bay squeel that occurs on startup is from a worn serpentine belt. Visually inspect the belt for cracks or missing pieces in the ribbing, worn places on the smooth side, etc. Remove the belt and start the Explorer. If it doesn't squeel, you've found your problem 99% of the time. Make sure the belt is completely removed from the engine bay when you start the vehicle to ensure it won't get snagged by the crank pulley and do any damage. ALso make sure you don't drive anywhere with the belt removed... only let the vehicle run without the belt for as long as it takes you to determine whether or not the sound is still present.

thanks. ill give it a try.

Here is another curly one for those in the know.

1. Position the removal tool onto sensor whe at TDC or when fits snug as per my previous post.

2. With cap in place, remove faulty part.

3. Install new part with positioning tool in place.

Here is what i want to know............... Does it matter at what position you install the synchro itself, after all, the positioning tool is in place so the timing is preset. For example if the arrow on the positioning tool now points slightly off the the left or right of where it originally whas on the dud unit while it was installed, should it matter.

I think it should not provided the postioning tool was correctly used.

you still need the arrow pointing as straight forward as possible.

you still need the arrow pointing as straight forward as possible.

Why should it matter. Providing the tool was used correctly for removal and install the timing should be ok.

The tool is only to ensure the internal spinning component of the synchro is in the correct positon as if in TDC. The whole unit being slightly off should not matter.

Why should it matter. Providing the tool was used correctly for removal and install the timing should be ok.

The tool is only to ensure the internal spinning component of the synchro is in the correct positon as if in TDC. The whole unit being slightly off should not matter.

did you forget about the sensor that goes to the top of the synchro gear?

The sensor cap is irrlevant. It goes on after the synchro is installed using the installation tool. It only goes on one way so provided the synchro is in the TDC position (as per removal) then timing to the sensor should not be hindered.

When i removed my old Synchro using the tool, i ensured i put the new one in with the arrow pointing to a mark on the fire wall that i had made with the old one still in place.

But it doesnt matter does it.

Nope, it doesn't matter. As long as the synchronizer was installed with the tool in place, you can put it in facing entirely the opposite direction. It is, however, easier to have it face forward though so there is plenty of slack in the harness to plug back into the camshaft sensor.

With the OHV motor the sensor faces the firewall at the rear od the block anyway and the wiring comes form the firewall. You need to keep it facing in that general direction to accommadote the wiring plug. I suppose with the SOHC it could go any direction.

My bad, I didn't realize it was a 4.0 OHV in question. I was speaking for the forward facing synchronizers in the 5.0s. With the engine aside, it still doesn't matter which direction it is installed so long as the allignment tool is in place AND your harness is long enough to reach the camshaft sensor.

Ok, here is a weird one that might be the cam P sensor. My 95 OHV 4.0 has a chirping noise when driving down the road BUT it's only when the temps fall down below 60 degrees outside. Like in the AM when it's colder it chirps all the way to work but in the afternoon it does not make a peep. I had thought that perhaps the fan clutch was having troubles and causing the chirp when cold. Has anyone else had a cam position sensor only chirp when it is cold outside?

Ok, here is a weird one that might be the cam P sensor. My 95 OHV 4.0 has a chirping noise when driving down the road BUT it's only when the temps fall down below 60 degrees outside. Like in the AM when it's colder it chirps all the way to work but in the afternoon it does not make a peep. I had thought that perhaps the fan clutch was having troubles and causing the chirp when cold. Has anyone else had a cam position sensor only chirp when it is cold outside?

Sounds like it is the Synchro. Mine used to do it when the engine was cold with the odd chirp when hot. After i did a long trip from Sydney to Melbourne and the Great ocean road it got much worse. On the way home to Sydney it got to the point where it was doing it all the time. Thats when i decided to replace it.

You wil find it will get worse, and just when you think you got it narrowed down to a certain engine temp, whammo it will do it at an unexpected moment.

Change the thing. Its not hard and reasonably cheap. I did mine in the OHV motor and it is easier in the SOHC.

Let us know if you need more info. The guys ang gals on this forum are awesome and will save you big bux if you listen.

Sounds like it is the Synchro. Mine used to do it when the engine was cold with the odd chirp when hot. After i did a long trip from Sydney to Melbourne and the Great ocean road it got much worse. On the way home to Sydney it got to the point where it was doing it all the time. Thats when i decided to replace it.

You wil find it will get worse, and just when you think you got it narrowed down to a certain engine temp, whammo it will do it at an unexpected moment.

Change the thing. Its not hard and reasonably cheap. I did mine in the OHV motor and it is easier in the SOHC.

Let us know if you need more info. The guys ang gals on this forum are awesome and will save you big bux if you listen.

Yeah, guess I have something to add to the pile of stuff to do to the truck. I have changed one before in my wife's old explorer 5.0L. I dunno if the OHV is easier than the 5.0 but it was pretty simple for me.

Hi..

i tried to read all the infos abou swaping the cps.....

can i swap just the sensor from one to another or do i have to use the tool?

i have a 96OHV 4.0 and have to swap the cps .. got a P0340 Mil fault

thx Maik

You don't need the tool to swap the sensor itself. Just disconnect the plug, take out the 2 bolts holding the sensor in place (they're really small... 4-5mm bolts) and gently pull straight up on the sensor. Reinstall in the reverse order. As long as you don't remove the actual camshaft synchronizer unit, there is no need for the installation tool.

Thank you for the Info....

i have to do it on 2 ohv engine..

one is chirping .. so we need the tool..
and one just a bad sensor i hope..

whats about ..
i have in my Bronco2 a 99 OHV engine with sensor but 94 harness.. and no need for the sensor..
could i take it out and just replace wit a 94 plug? should be ok?

well i just did this task yesterday after waiting for my part to come in at the ford dealership and for the tool. I will say this was possibly the easiest repair i have done still was scared i was gonna screw something up though. Thanks to all that helped VIA many phone calls lol

I think my 4.0 OHV may have this problem. How drastic is this issue? What would happen if I ignore it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back