Herculining suspension parts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herculining suspension parts

My truck is in great shape, I keep it super clean on the outside and in the engine bay, but I can't stand the rust underneath anymore. It's mostly the frame and the suspension parts and bugs me. My question is, would it be OK to put Herculiner on the suspension parts (i.e. control arms, leaf springs, etc)? I want that clean black look, but more importantly, I want it to LAST.

Any opinions welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah POR15 is great but it's a little expensive. I may do that in the future

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Hartman
Yeah POR15 is great but it's a little expensive. I may do that in the future
It may seam expensive, but POR-15 is NOT paint!. You are paying for a product that is incredibly durable... comparing Rustoleum to POR-15 is like comparing white glue and epoxy glue.. People who use paint are not saving any real money since they end up repainting every year...yeah the paint is cheap, but think of the wasted time spent repainting. I would much rather pay a premium for a product that WILL work.

I have almost completed my restoration project (started in July). I had carefully prepped everything and used POR-15 with a brush. (the product self levels and dries to a mirror like finish no brush marks!) I have taken pictures along the way to document the restoration process. Once I get my photo's digitized I will upload them so you will become a believer.

I fully understand what you're saying. POR15 is a project for the future. ;)

I'm surprised no one asked this earlier... PICTURES??!?!?!

:D

I have to figure out how to make my Yahoo pictures permanent...It seams that when I post them here they work fine for a short period of time then stop working..When I go back to Yahoo photos I notice they have changed the url on the photos, so that is why you get the nice icon of nothing...PITA...

Here is a sample
com.hp.HPGuestLogin

So with the POR 15 what surfaces should I stay away from painting? I figure I would paint the frame, under-carraige of the body, stuff like that. But would I also paint the rear axle, leaf springs and exhaust? And what about the tranny and t-case?

DEROCHA, if you send me some of your pics dmasini@yahoo.com (or if they are really big tell me and I'll give you my work email) I will post them up on this thread. I'm really curious to see what it looks like and what you did and did not cover.

i to am curious

but is this something ud use if u wheel? i know they say most things just come right off on the trail but my car has 0 rust well almost 0 and id like to keep it that way so can i use this product?

Yeah, any metal under your truck will oxidize over time. Depending on where you live it will rust faster. So if you lived with a lot of snow the salt from the road will rust it faster. Or by the ocean with the salt in the air, blah, blah; I'm sure you know that... Anyways, It's always a good idea to get an undercoating to protect it whether you wheel or not... Should help in resale value if you ever plan on using it as a trade-in too.

Here is the POR15 site. It has some good info on the product: http://www.por15.com/faq.asp

have found that the 500 degree engine enamel is cool it can wth stand heat and some other BS...it has ceramic n it as well just scrub the stuff down use some sandable prmer and spray away. only crappy part about the enamel is drying time is uhh well a long time.

hey thanks for the info dmasini my car is a 91 tracker it has no resale lol but i will be doing a lift to is and this will change most all the parts out so i think that would be a perfect time to do something under there

Back