Hey Explorers! Please help me | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey Explorers! Please help me

how else do you accelerate without mashing a gas pedal with your foot?
People are used to releasing the brake and a car creeps forward, reversing gas is usually barely needed. I think people don't like that they have to touch the gas pedal as it can feel like a lurch or sudden gforce lol. I don't have that issue obviously and I'm sure most people don't but just wanted to explain you don't have to mash the gas. I'm sure people will get over it once they figure out it's not a flaw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just get in the habit of releasing the e brake right after you start your EX while your foot is still on the brake pedal. The pedal needs to be pressed to start the car and to release the e brake, so just get in the habit and the it drives normally with no lag while it auto releases.

Hey everyone. Just picked up a Timberline and already found a problem. The parking brake automatically engaged when I switch fro D to P, and every time I try to drive I have to manually disengage it. None of my friend’s Explorer does this. Is this a problem from the factory or there is a setting controls this feature. Really hate it. Please help me. Thank you very much. The car is brand new, just noticed this when I got home.
Look in the owners manual to your brand new car. Or take it back to the dealership

Can anyone who had software update confirm if it parking brake disengages when simply putting it in D?
not a 6g owner but by putting it in d to my knowledge it wont do anything ya have to tap the pedal foe it to disengage

how else do you accelerate without mashing a gas pedal with your foot?
do ya floor it off the line?

imo mashing the gas carries the connotation of heavy acceleration, which is what i think others are confused about. you could lightly tap the pedal and it would disengage, any level of throttle >0%, which isnt mashing the pedal if its at 2% for example. now i dont know the definitin of mashing in this context but to me it cardies the connotation of heavy throttle which it doesnt require

Maybe it is because I drove only manual transmission cars for most of my life but I don't see an issue here? The emergency brake is meant to be used in addition to park. For exmple, you park your car on an incline, after you put it into park the car rolls and then locks in place. You are putting pressure on the pawl in the trans. If you use your e brake there is no roll. Its safer all the time. Its easy, you park your car and press a stupid little button between the seats.. it becomes a ( good) habit. Same with the auto start /stop..whats the big deal to press a little button before you put the car in drive on start up. At least we have the option, I have been told that the Chevies cannot disengage auto start/stop at all. I have not seen it , but I have been told that. I tend to think that we find faults that aren't there. I am not being judgemental, I am sure that I pick on other issue that others may think are non issues.

At least we have the option, I have been told that the Chevies cannot disengage auto start/stop at all. I have not seen it , but I have been told that.
Autostop eliminator makes some for Chevy/GM, they have a few vehicles covered but it's better than none.

Maybe it is because I drove only manual transmission cars for most of my life but I don't see an issue here? The emergency brake is meant to be used in addition to park. For exmple, you park your car on an incline, after you put it into park the car rolls and then locks in place. You are putting pressure on the pawl in the trans. If you use your e brake there is no roll. Its safer all the time. Its easy, you park your car and press a stupid little button between the seats.. it becomes a ( good) habit. Same with the auto start /stop..whats the big deal to press a little button before you put the car in drive on start up. At least we have the option, I have been told that the Chevies cannot disengage auto start/stop at all. I have not seen it , but I have been told that. I tend to think that we find faults that aren't there. I am not being judgemental, I am sure that I pick on other issue that others may think are non issues.
yeah i use the ebrake and put it in P. imo ya still putting pressure on the pawl cause i let it roll then lock itself then push the brake down so its just there as a backup to the pawl, anyways the brake doesnt hold super strong unless i push it super far so even more just a backup 🤣 imo yeah not a huge deal on the 2g its just a pull back thing aint hard, at least on new ones can just tap the gas🤣

Hey everyone. Just picked up a Timberline and already found a problem. The parking brake automatically engaged when I switch fro D to P, and every time I try to drive I have to manually disengage it. None of my friend’s Explorer does this. Is this a problem from the factory or there is a setting controls this feature. Really hate it. Please help me. Thank you very much. The car is brand new, just noticed this when I got home.
It is suppose to work that way. The fix for recall 22V255, customer satisfaction 22N06 sets the parking brake automatically when in Park.

Actually, the E-brake refers to Electric Parking Brake. The only reference in the manual to Emergency Brake is in talking about Emergency Brake Assist which is a different item.

Peter

Frankly don't really care what words Ford chooses to use. If they want to play word games which is what they do, they can. The PIUs are manual E-brake, not electronic so I guess those are Emergency brakes or are they just brakes or are the manual cable brakes.. or manual parking brakes??

Reality is no one has never had to engage or disengage it manually with normal parking. And now you are expecting every owner to now disengage it manually or press on the gas when it isn't required or shouldn't be.

Now if you are in San Fran on a 10* slope and parking, sure I am sure some use them for safety but it is not common to use it at all

Look in the owners manual to your brand new car. Or take it back to the dealership
This is a new software update that is being done and it will not be mentioned in the Owner's Manual. The feature is working as designed by engaging when the vehicle is put into Park. What we need is for someone that has had the update done is a verification that it still works as deigned before the update.

Peter

It is suppose to work that way. The fix for recall 22V255, customer satisfaction 22N06 sets the parking brake automatically when in Park.
The original recall issue was a fractured rear axle bolt. The recall fix is previously noted in this post.

Frankly don't really care what words Ford chooses to use. If they want to play word games which is what they do, they can. The PIUs are manual E-brake, not electronic so I guess those are Emergency brakes or are they just brakes or are the manual cable brakes.. or manual parking brakes??

Reality is no one has never had to engage or disengage it manually with normal parking. And now you are expecting every owner to now disengage it manually or press on the gas when it isn't required or shouldn't be.

Now if you are in San Fran on a 10* slope and parking, sure I am sure some use them for safety but it is not common to use it at all
In the 2020 PIU manual, there are 2 references to this. One is 'Electric Parking Brake' and the other is simply 'Parking Brake' as that is what it has always been referred to as long as I've been driving and only recently has the word emergency been used as far as I can tell. You engage it when you park. There is no reference in that PIU manual to 'Emergency Parking Brake.'
As for its use; when should you apply the parking brake - Google Search
You would likely get the same result using 'emergency' brake.

Peter

Mine is not recalled fortunately for thiis reason but I really don't understand what the big stink is about the parking brake usage? Ever since 2015 I've had a vehicle with an electric brake and it is so much easier to engage and disengage that it's a no-brainer using it. It is in no way an inconvenience or difficult to do. The automatic aspect of applying and/or releasing the brake makes this discussion even more annoying. In addition, knowing that this brake puts less strain on an already unreliable and troubled 10-speed transmission is another good reason for using it.

Mine is not recalled fortunately for thiis reason but I really don't understand what the big stink is about the parking brake usage? Ever since 2015 I've had a vehicle with an electric brake and it is so much easier to engage and disengage that it's a no-brainer using it. It is in no way an inconvenience or difficult to do. The automatic aspect of applying and/or releasing the brake makes this discussion even more annoying. In addition, knowing that this brake puts less strain on an already unreliable and troubled 10-speed transmission is another good reason for using it.
I think the reason people don't like it is we are all creatures of habit. Being forced to make a change is some thing most people won't like no matter how minor it might be. Just my 2 cents. there really is no right or wrong.

I think the reason people don't like it is we are all creatures of habit. Being forced to make a change is some thing most people won't like no matter how minor it might be. Just my 2 cents. there really is no right or wrong.
Those missing the point about us being concerned about disengaging a parking brake by tapping, mashing or manually are missing the MAIN reason of the absurdity of this, which is that Ford should be replacing all of the defective parts, PERIOD... not just selectively allowing Interceptors only to get it, because, well, they accelerate a lot more. It sounds like quite the compelling argument, but it is a step into unchartered waters when known defective parts are not replaced and they dicker with your software to save money. I do not speak for anyone but myself and personally I am refusing the software update and currently waiting for approval to get the part replaced in lieu of the band aid.

do ya floor it off the line?

imo mashing the gas carries the connotation of heavy acceleration, which is what i think others are confused about. you could lightly tap the pedal and it would disengage, any level of throttle >0%, which isnt mashing the pedal if its at 2% for example. now i dont know the definitin of mashing in this context but to me it cardies the connotation of heavy throttle which it doesnt require
i think yall confusing mash with smash lol. mash in hillbilly means to press. you mash a button for example.

i think yall confusing mash with smash lol. mash in hillbilly means to press. you mash a button for example.
If you are at a steep uphill stop light, and it turns green, even the auto hold would require quite an extra amount of torque

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should disengage when you mash the gas.
No actually the new E-brakes automatically release when you put the vehicle in drive or reverse and press the gas. Never have to remember to release on the newer vehicles. My 2013 MKZ also automatically released in drive but you had to be wearing your seatbelt for that.
Hey thanks! I tried it yesterday and it's almost seamless.

Back