Hid kits cheap | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hid kits cheap

ZERO thanks for the info....ill be getting that back to them asap!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rocket, if your using an auto headlamp feature, its incompatable with HID's. auto headlamps dont use the full wattage of the system, its more of a "Look there is a vehicle here" feature, than a light up the road feature.

Are you speaking of "Auto Headlamps aka Autolamps" (i.e. lights that turn themselves on by themselves at night and off when it gets light), or "Daytime Running Lights"? I think you're describing the latter. They are two different things. I have both features on my 2nd gen. I deactivated DRL because they don't work with HID and don't use Autolamps anymore because of voltage drops during startup that cause my HIDs to come on "some times" (even with a Suvlights relay harness).

i think thats what my problem is, i just keep it on auto and when i turn my truck on with remote start sometimes they work and sometimes they dont

i think thats what my problem is, i just keep it on auto and when i turn my truck on with remote start sometimes they work and sometimes they dont

My HIDs used to come on most of the time with autolamps, but occasionally, one or both wouldn't. It''s actually a well documented problem with HID kits and sellers often recommend you get a relay harness to help solve the problem. I did just that and it seemed to have solved the issue for a while. HID ballasts are very sensitive to startup voltage and won't fire as a safeguard when voltage is too low. I've since turned off my Autolamps and just turn on my headlights the old fashioned way and both fire up without issue now.

Basically in other words, the only time your headlights should be on, is when your truck's running, and you turn the headlight switch LOL.

(Or not running, but make sure you turn them off before you start it :D)

thats exactly what i was getting at, the safest way to ensure your HID's turn on is to do it the old fashoned way, most places that sell HID's wont tell you they dont work with auto lamps. its somthing i learned after A LOT of research before i bought my first kit (Which was also the most expensive!) I have been running ebay baught kits for over a year and things are still ship shape. if you continue to have problems with the regualar method of turning them on, i sugjest you return them at once because they are defective.

yea i turn my lights on the normal way out of habbit with my 03 XLS... they come on every time for me.

the nice thing about the kits we bought, is that the kits are under 100% warranty for a year. i spoke with a sales rep on the phone when i had to change my order, and asked about the warranty. just give them a call and tell them your order number. then let them know your having issues with your kit. they should send you another kit.

look around on ebay i found my set of 30k for 50 w/free shipping.... no need to spend 100 or 200 on a set, thats just plain stupid! there not any better... and the replacement bulbls are like 20 bucks.. thats cheaper than silverstars! and silverstars suck ass!

look around on ebay i found my set of 30k for 50 w/free shipping.... no need to spend 100 or 200 on a set, thats just plain stupid! there not any better... and the replacement bulbls are like 20 bucks.. thats cheaper than silverstars! and silverstars suck ass!

Not to be an ass but

1. I hope those are for looks and not actual night driving, my 10,000k's are where I draw the line.

2. Although eBay kits do the job, the more expensive name brand kits really are alot higher quality...Less defective ballasts, less bad bulbs, and alot more precision quality put into each piece, rather than the 40$ kits. Trust me there's a big difference. Ever wonder why cars with HIDs stock cost like 800$ to replace the housing/bulb combo? Ever seen how perfect the output is and how un-defective they are?

3. You get what you pay for, not only for the product working, but also for customer support if there is a defective part.

I just read thru this thread and now my understanding is that I will never be able to run HIDs with my lights in the AUTO mode? I will have to manually turn them on and off when I have HIDs because HIDs dont work with the AUTO mode?

If so then this is a deal breaker for me, I will just go with higher quality bulbs. Input would be appreciated, thanks

I just read thru this thread and now my understanding is that I will never be able to run HIDs with my lights in the AUTO mode? I will have to manually turn them on and off when I have HIDs because HIDs dont work with the AUTO mode?

If so then this is a deal breaker for me, I will just go with higher quality bulbs. Input would be appreciated, thanks

Try a relay harness to wire your HIDs. That can solve the problem. Mine worked for a while with the harness, but now sometimes they fire automatically, some times they don't. Personally, I'd rather have HID than Autolamp so I'm fine with it. You sound like you're not.

Jarvis that is infact true, auto lamps dont use the full power available in the headlamp circut. and HID's are very picky about start up voltage and wattage.

Im with brian, You get what you pay for in almost all cases, and HID's are no exception. I paid 150 plus shipping for each of my kits, and mine come with a THREE year warantee on bulbs and ballasts. they are a coated, and are much less likely to short out like the silver boxed ones. Also i read his other post, he hasnt secured his ballast's, they are going to rattle, short, and cease to work.. i have had TWO sets of cheap 35's do this to me, because i gheto secured them, use bolts.. or they will die a lot sooner than they were intended to do, and failure to secure them voids the warantee is just about EVERY case.

You mean Autolamps as in like when they automatically come on at night? Thats fine, AS LONG AS you make sure they're off before you start your truck; having them running and starting the truck will drop the voltage so low that it will eventually kill the ballasts.

Your thinking of the DRL feature, which keeps the headlights on during the day, but at less power (So theyre very dim, basically just to say hey theres a vehicle! Lol), that wont work with the HIDs, it would fry the ballasts also, so disable that too.

Summed up, yes you can use HIDs with Autolamps, just make sure theyre not on when you start the truck, and make sure theyre not gonna kick on and off like going through tunnels and stuff (Repeatedly, and quickly)

Try a relay harness to wire your HIDs. That can solve the problem. Mine worked for a while with the harness, but now sometimes they fire automatically, some times they don't. Personally, I'd rather have HID than Autolamp so I'm fine with it. You sound like you're not.

I definitely plan on installing harness so that way the HIDs get clean power from the battery.

So that should be fine?

Lastly, you are correct- I'd rather have autolamp over HIDs (especially when I dont have projectors) because turning the lights on and off is pain in the ass IMO. I love my autolamp feature.

You mean Autolamps as in like when they automatically come on at night? Thats fine, AS LONG AS you make sure they're off before you start your truck; having them running and starting the truck will drop the voltage so low that it will eventually kill the ballasts.

Your thinking of the DRL feature, which keeps the headlights on during the day, but at less power (So theyre very dim, basically just to say hey theres a vehicle! Lol), that wont work with the HIDs, it would fry the ballasts also, so disable that too.

Summed up, yes you can use HIDs with Autolamps, just make sure theyre not on when you start the truck, and make sure theyre not gonna kick on and off like going through tunnels and stuff (Repeatedly, and quickly)

Nah I am not talking about DRL at all. I am talking about the autolamps.

I dont see how my autolamps will be turned on before I start up the vehicle. So it should not be a problem?

I will get separate wiring harness to wire up the HIDs so I can ensure the effectiveness of the electricity from the battery to HIDs.

And you mean HIDs can not go on and off pretty quick? If so, that really sucks man. I guess it wont even turn on when I open the vehicle or unlock it? sometimes the lights helped during nighttime.

I definitely plan on installing harness so that way the HIDs get clean power from the battery.

So that should be fine?

Lastly, you are correct- I'd rather have autolamp over HIDs (especially when I dont have projectors) because turning the lights on and off is pain in the ass IMO. I love my autolamp feature.

I didn't think you were talking about DRL. Not sure why the discussion keeps going back in that direction.

Jarvis, a relay harness SHOULD solve the problem. It did for me (for a while). My driver's side light then stopped firing every time, but I also thing that could have been related to a charging issue I was having. I use a Suvlights relay harness, have a new Iraggi alternator, did the Big 3 and have an Optima Yellow top and my HIDs are firing again with my autolamps no problem (I just recently did the alternator and the Big 3).

HIDs are not supposed to be cycled on and off all the time. That's pretty much why I'd never go with HID in my high beam sockets (in the projectors). Going on and off in a tunnel would NOT be an issue, IMHO. As long as you're not repeatedly turning them on and off over a long period of time, you'll be golden.

Lots of misinformation in this thread!

I didn't think you were talking about DRL. Not sure why the discussion keeps going back in that direction.

Jarvis, a relay harness SHOULD solve the problem. It did for me (for a while). My driver's side light then stopped firing every time, but I also thing that could have been related to a charging issue I was having. I use a Suvlights relay harness, have a new Iraggi alternator, did the Big 3 and have an Optima Yellow top and my HIDs are firing again with my autolamps no problem (I just recently did the alternator and the Big 3).

HIDs are not supposed to be cycled on and off all the time. That's pretty much why I'd never go with HID in my high beam sockets (in the projectors). Going on and off in a tunnel would NOT be an issue, IMHO. As long as you're not repeatedly turning them on and off over a long period of time, you'll be golden.

Lots of misinformation in this thread!
Thank you for the clarification!

I will definitely use separate relay harness just to be safe. I guess now the question is do I really want to run HIDs in regular headlights then there will be a lot of glare and out-of-whack beam patterns. That is something I need to decide on.

If not then I will just go with GE Nighthawk Sport headlight bulb replacement

Thank you for the clarification!

I will definitely use separate relay harness just to be safe. I guess now the question is do I really want to run HIDs in regular headlights then there will be a lot of glare and out-of-whack beam patterns. That is something I need to decide on.

If not then I will just go with GE Nighthawk Sport headlight bulb replacement

Jarvis:

I've heard that HID kits aren't as bad in 3rd gen headlights re: glare/beam patters than they are in 2nd gens. Might want to do some research there. I know little about the 3rd gen.

If you want the "best" halogen out there, Philips XTreme Power are supposedly just that. They are harder to find and not available in all bulb sizes. I scored a H1 set recently that I'll try in my highbeams some day when my Osrams die. See if you can find those if you don't want to go HID. They're not super white or blue, but when bulb manufactuers try and make halogens look blue, they do it at the expense of output (by using filters on the glass).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone tried these kits?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85

also, i found these a/m headlamps the other day. anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.k2motor.com/4lhp-epor951pcjm-ks.html

Hey fellow Calgarian.

Those DDM ones seem to get mentioned often. Might want to search the archives to people's assessments. No idea about the K2 ones. HID kits have become a commodity and are a dime a dozen these days.

My existing kit was sourced locally here in town from a guy who sold the "GT Hid" offering. They were pricier than some kits, but I've been impressed with the reliability and quality of the components. Sadly, all signs are pointing to them not being available anymore as Brenden's website is no longer (GTHid.ca). I used to get great service from him if I had technical issues. Something to be said for having a face to face presence if needed (although he lives in deep NW and I'm in deep SE).

Back