High milage explorers? | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High milage explorers?

92 2 door 4x4 5 speed manual.

I've had to replace starter, alternator and power steering pump because of using it pretty hard off road. The truck has held up really well and has 146K miles
I can't complain at all. But it's gettin to be time to do a clutch and slave on it. Also considering I've sucked water into the intake about 3 times now, I'm amazed the motor has no issues from it, I finally figgured out the intake piece under the battery had come apart, effectively lowering the intake about 8-10 inches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 xlt 4dr
106,000 and still strong
only add on's and basic stuff
truck is great and I beat the hell out it
:bounce: still looks damn good too.

94 XLT 4x4
164,000 miles and counting.

1993 X with 214,000 and counting and the 1997 just turned 101,000 as I just took this one on a long trip recently and it still runs strong.

1995 Explorer XLT w/ 98,000 miles on the clock.

No Problems to report!! :bounce:

-Brian

02 Eddie Bauer

25,000miles
1. The entire heat/ac air plenum
2. The steering wheel radio controls
3. The back plastic piece below my tailgate window
4. regular mantenance

I will be purchasing the extended warranty based on previous posts.

Guess I should put my truck in here.
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
101,000 miles and counting
It has needed a throttle body, new emergancy brake system, new radiator fan, new ball joint, new tie rods (twice), new U-joint, 2 sets of brakes (due to oversize tires), shocks, new radio and sub, new header gaskets, and the normal stuff. Still runs great and looks great. i plan to keep the truck for several mor eyears..likely until 200,000 or more miles.

98 sport
89000 miles
NADA

'94 XLT 4x4
144,000 mi
Fixed- A/C, tranny
Replaced: Oil, spark plugs, tires shocks ==just routine maintenance

Green 92 XLT 4x4
101,000 miles
Changed wheels bearings, seals, rotors, bushings, stuff like that. Runs perfect. No engine problems. :chug:

1993 Eddie Bauer. I love this truck 193,000 miles. but auto trans sucks (first one as far as i know) went at 185,000 miles. I installed a used one with 70,000 miles on it and now it is starting to go bad. Right front axle is also bad

I have '93, bought it in '98 with 50k miles, now it has 122k and I just had to put a new auto tranny in. Bought a Factory Rebuilt Ford tranny in West Virginia on vacation. No other major repairs other than brakes (eats them up and spits them out) and tires.

I have a black '99 V8 XLT bought in 2002 at 30k miles, it now has 38k. Things that have been replaced:

Lower ball joints
front differential seal leaking
added a leaf to the rear
front wheel bearing seals replaced
rear disc brake pads

1998 Explorer Sport 4x4 OHV
~115,000 Miles
Owned for almost 2 years now, bought at 91,000 miles. I push my car pretty hard, usually going excessively fast but I never really gun it. Still runs strong and completely stock(minus speakers).

Fixed:
Thermostat
Lower Ball Joints
Turned Rotors
Heater Control Valve
Serpintine Belt
4x Tires (Firestone Destination LE) 255-70-R16's (which were on the car when I bought them, and these are Expedition sized tires...shouldn't stock Ex tire's be 235-70-R16?)
o2 Sensor

Needs Fixing/Replacing:
A/C Compressor and Accumulator (Not going to, can of Freeon every month makes it Ice cold)
Spark Plug Wires
Might have to replace the Transfer case, 4x4 High/Low won't engage and lights are blinking. Going to check this out very soon. This is the worst that could be wrong.

94 Xlt

'94 Explorer XLT 4x4
192,615 mi bought a week ago

This is my first SUV and I'm lovin it. She's a solid Florida truck with no rust! I look forward to having her long after the payment coupon book is empty.
She has issues I've seen posted here a lot: no brake lights or cruise, rear hatch won't open, front end shake, radio LED, cold temp gauge, etc... I'll report back with her condition and if the eng/tranny are OEM. A/C comp is new. My goal is 22mpg hwy as I travel in work.
My mechanic sees no evidence she's been 4-wheeled much so I may have to take mom on a drive thru the Ocala Nat'l Forest and break the girls in

:burnout:

I had to amend this post! She's a 2WD truck not 4x4... my mechanic is no longer my mechanic :rolleyes:

Recently bought a 91 Eddie Bauer Explorer for my daughter's first car. It has a 4.0 OHV and 'supposed' head gasket problem. 125.000 and both heads cracked between the valves. Decided to get new rather than rebuild it. Haven't driven it so no idea what else could be broke. We really need the tan interior trim retainers but can't find them.

94 XLT 126,00+
Ball joints 2 or 3 times
5 transmissions(3 rebuild 2 new) 2 of the 5 under waranty
3 sets of front rotors
3 sets of drums(rusted out)
new brake lines
master cylinder
2 sets of calipers(piston melted)
seat belt buckle
auto hubs went @ 115k replaced with manual
wheel bearings 3 times
rear inner door handle release(126,000mi)
replaced stock radio and speakers @ 98k
seat frames cracked had them welded holding good but not as comfortable as before
2 head light sockets
4 batterys
arm rest console bracket cracked( made new one from computer case to replace plastic stock piece)
rear door came off the gas shocks( coverd under recall)
thermostat
2 fuel filters
1 back pressure sensor(cant think of the name)
and the a/c entire system at 124,000 which needs repair again(free of charge) and thats about it lol

I just got a new '04 XLS Sport this week, but my previous '99 XL was well maintained and required just basic servicing. My vehicle sees the service bay every 3 weeks, since I drive alot and keep a religious servicing schedule. In 172k miles of duty, she needed the tires replaced three times, a new battery, one set of shocks, and only one brake job (I'm easy on the pedal). The tranny did fail at 72k and was replaced which was the only major problem. Thank god for that 75k extended warranty, so Ford ate the cost of the job.

The 1991 Big Red Beast

91 EB Explorer 4x4 4door auto 190K miles

Bought it last week (9/14/04) and have already replaced or had work done on:

Four tires (just about bald) $250
Left front stabilizer bushing (just about nonexistent - the bracket was seriously tweaked) $11.99 part $75 install
Left side radius arm control bushing (completely missing at purchase) $7.99 part $75 install (both bushings replaced at some time, so splitting the cost between them)
Radiator flush (fluid was downright rusty-looking) $60
Power steering flush (nasty brown liquid in there) $50

Pending repairs (gotta be done - no choice):

Power steering pump (leaking all over the place) $55 part - not sure of installation cost.

Flying down the highway in my pretty red Explorer...Priceless...

I figure I'll end up putting something like a grand into it by the end of this next week just in repairs...

Chibininja

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 XLT V8 - 111250 and counting

No mods, still a stocker, rear diff replaced at 94500 just before I bought her. Few water hoses on the cooling system, but apart from that all is great!!
Take a look see at http://www.slovakexplorer.50megs.com

Back