High milage explorers? | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High milage explorers?

97 Ford Explorer 2x4 Sport

I bought my '97 Explorer 2x4 V6 4.0L Sport Oct of '01 with 77,000 miles. It now is 300 away from hitting 140,000. It was a leased vehicle for some company out in CA. The only thing I have had to do is new tires and brakes, starter and battery. My clutch is starting to slip so that will be getting taken care of soon. Not to bad for pretty much doubling my mileage in 3 years. Just to add to that. My explorer has driven from San Diego, CA to Detroit, MI and back twice and frequently I drive from Chicago which is where I live now to Detroit. Haven't had a hiccup yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 95XLT with 170K on the ticker. I've been through I think 4 trannies now, and this one still has problems.....Replaced TP sensor a couple times, VSS a couple times, new x-fer case around 90K, fuel pump, radiator, and new bearings and seals in the rear end. Also new front wheel hub assemblies around 160K. Oil changed with Motorcraft oil every 3K, and she doesn't burn a drop. Other than that, things like brakes, shocks, alternator, tensioner pulley, idler pulley. Floor boards are starting to crack around the firewall... one of the body mounts broke away from the frame.... All in all I love my Explorer, and wouldn't trade it for anything..... Well, maybe one with a solid axle and a V8.....

162,000miles on a 1992 XLT, its on its 2nd trany but thats our fault lol, it turns out towing a 22 foot boat with an improperly installed flywheel isnt good for the trany.

I just did the zip tie mod on the throttle cable and it feels like a different truck:) with all the slop in the throttle gone:)

112K on my 93 when I bought it towards the end of last year. Currently has 121K. Replaced brakes and calipers (boy did my mileage increase LOL). plugs & wires. :usa:

how about 180100 or so in my 99sport no major things regular oil and shock was the last big thing next it apears to be the fuel pressure regulator

2000 XLT 4wd with about 69K. Righ Upper Control Arm had to be replaced because of a squeeking noise. I am about to replace the same side with a lower balljoint. I might do them all just to get them all out of the way. But not a whole lot of expense so far - except now that it's lifted, everyone at my shop says "Go Big, Pay Big"! So I guess I'm saving up money for something bad to come along! (knocking on wood).

-Drew

96xlt v8

96 V8 xlt got it about 7 months ago with 117k milles on it, it has 130.x..

only thing i'v changed is the radio because the stock one sucked,it needs a new windshield "was broken when i bouth it", third brake light dosnt work.... both rear doors do not open from the inside ez fix, havent done thing major to the truck so far, the last owners took very good care of it i chage the oil every3000 to 3500 milles i like to use Lucas stabilizer, i checked the spark plugs and they look new, it has those bosh with the 4 ends, the cables look new as well, might need an air filter change, im gonna change the thermostat because its running cold, other than that, it looks, drives and feels like new, I love my truck, wouldnt change for anything, well maybe for a brand new Expedition LoL :exp: :thumbsup:

update 96 xlt 4.0 rebuilt tranny @150000 (blew up the torque convertor) fuel pump @120000 and transfer case @ 171000 now has 175236 and still kicking

'94 w/ 149.8k It was a gift from my wife's uncle. I'm sure he did nothing but regular maint. We've been together since he bought the truck and I never heard of anything major.

any pics of some of these rolling relics?

DSCF0132.jpg

178,x..
new xfer case, rear diff, thats it

92 Explorer XL 4.0L 360000km.
Starter this weekend.Thats it

dtl 2k2 sport said:
any pics of some of these rolling relics?
Click the links in my sig :) :navajo:

1994 Explorer Limited All stock 239,000 miles. I use it now for my winter SUV. I also I own the same SUV 1994 Limited with 140,000 miles which I drive in the summer. The one with 239,000 runs better then the 140,000. I plan to run these SUV's untill any major problem happens. I'm very happy with these suv's no really major problem has happened...... Knock on wood.

93 Mustang GT 37,000

91 with 210k miles, ive had to replace just about everything due to offroading, but other than that, just brakes, heater core, and alternator, thats it.

1999 sport now has 101.000 on it did the shocks wires plugs trans, and now it seems i have to do the front dif cause thats shot, its all a goddamn money pit, but ill have it for a few more years unfortunately till i can afford my f250

209,000 mi. nothing except usual shocks, alt, etc.. no mechanical though.

1997 X 115195 now bought june of 04 with 109886

I have 96 XLT. Current mileage is 165K. I bought it with 30K mi

Things I've replaced ...

Tensioner pully ... it broke on start up in the garage
Thermostat ... stuck open
Front end components (taken care of with warranty after shortly buying SUV)
Brakes/Rotors - twice ( got beat once by Mieneke - b*astards! for $700 Rear brakes wore out before front and started into rotors - they probably didn't change the back brakes and charged me)
Oil, plugs, wires, coolant hose connector.
IAV
Water pump (based on IAV problem ... before I knew what to do)
Battery ... got 6 yrs out of it
Tires (on 3 set ... 1st set got messed up by front end issues at purchase time)
Clogged fuel filter
O2 sensors
CD changer (bought one from circuit city and a connector from crutchfield for half of what the dealer wanted)
Change fluids periodically to trans, transfer case, etc.

Fairly good service out of the vehicle at low cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 92 4x4 with 250000 on the tikker, ive replaced the battery, alternator, tranny, starter soon to be brake rotors (cheap brake pads :p), oil periodically and cd's almost every day. btw thate 250000 kilometers

Back