High milage explorers? | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High milage explorers?

I've got a 93 Navajo, 205,000 Miles on it. Bought it 5 years ago with 135,000 on it. Pretty much have replaced most of the parts one by one over the years, but it has never let me down. Always gives you plenty of warning before something is going out. At least if your paying attention to it. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98 XLT 130,000 just the basics have been done to it wire oil etc

'95 XLT w/250,329
It has only left me walking once. At 238,000 the fuel pump went out. Everything else has just been scheduled maintence items...brakes, plugs, etc. I think the trans is about to need some work but I'm still pulling my work trailer with it. I drive it everyday and travel in 3 states. No complaints here.

99 XLT SOHC - 111,000 miles

Usual tuneup parts plus IAC, MAF, fuel pump, ball joints, lower intake manifold gaskets and chain tentioner (free - recall).

96 XLT 4.0 - 120,000 miles

Usual tuneup parts plus "nothing".

91 XLT, 200k miles.

1 tranny at 160k miles. Other then that...new front wheel bearings at 190k, brakes, etc.

Slade

96 Xlt 4.0 126230

Other than normal maintenance items, Heater Core, don't even ask about doing it!

1995 Limited 4x4 at 94,000 miles.

Aside from the normal maintenance items like brake pads, oil, wiper blades, tires, etc., I've replaced:

Both front brake rotors
Air filter with K&N
Serpentine drive belt
Spark plugs with Bosch +4 platinum
Right front fog light assembly
Windshield
Upper and lower ball joints both sides
Left upper bushings
FRAM® SureDrain Quick Oil Change System for oil drain plug
Four rear lug bolts
Rear leaf springs.

97 EB EX 4X4
Replaced:
Motor
Transmition
Tie Rod Ends
Fog Light Asembl
Shocks
Tires
Rear Sway Bar Links
All interior and cluster bulbs
factory subwoofer from JBL system
IAC valve
Thats all that come to mind know but ill remember some more later

94 4X4 179,000

Rotors
Brake pads
Wheel Bearings
Hubs (swapped to manuals after autos failed in the middle of winter)
Battery
Radio
Speakers (Crackle)
Antenna
Front Plate Bracket
Shocks
Tires
Need door panels and arm rest replaced
Mirror
wipers
Mass air flow sensor
air filter box (due to some idiot previous owner who broke the clips off)
plugs
wires
air filter (k&n)
rear wiper motor has issues
speedo cable is making wicked noise and speedo goes crazy over 60mph

93 Xlt

93 XLT 183,000 +
Water pump
Belts
Front breaks
torsion bar bushings
K&N filter
Transmission fluid every 50 to 60k, Never replaced the entire tranny
MAS air flow sensor
intake Manifold gasket (in-progress)
Engine has two lifters that tick.
knock wood, one of the best vhix I ever bought
looking to get 200K+

91 XLT 4x2: 208,000+
Replaced:
Intake Manifold gasket (someone else)
Radius Arm Bushings (someone else)
Exhaust System (someone else)
Power Steering Pump (me)
Radiator Fan and Clutch (me)
Heating and Air Cond Blower Fan (me)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (me)
2 Batteries (me)
2 sets of plugs (me)
2 set of wires (me)
1 front brake cylinder
2 sets of front brake pads (1 me and 1 someone else)
Converted to R-134a (me)

Got my mileage back up to 23mpg recently. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned, knock on wood. I'm on my 3rd set of tires. I got 45K out of those ATX junkers and wouldn't they balance. I got 93K out of a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWPs and I've got 67K on my second of Tiger Paws, the ones with the big white tiger paws on the sidewall.

I believe that's it,
Grateful11

I bought a 92 XLT 4X4 about a month ago. It has 175,000 miles on it. Transmission has been replaced. I cleaned the electronic shift motor to get the 4WD working (thanks for the posts to guide me through this). It now needs: Right front upper and lower ball joints; new rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders and hoses; Front wheel bearings; body work under both rear doors (NH inspection requires no sharp edges or holes through body); two body mounts; and of course an alignment.
I am also going to replace the tranny fluid and filter. My mechanic says the truck is very sound mechanically and I got a good deal when I bought it (bought it at auction).

Oh yeah, it needs tires too.

It has rear wiper issues (that I'm not ready to tackle until spring)
knob came off of headlight switch
blinker/windshield wiper/hi-lo beam switch has issues (only the headlight portion has issues right now)
electric mirror control switch has issues (right and down buttons have no effect on either mirror)

bikerchick4God said:
'94 Explorer XLT 4x4
192,615 mi bought a week ago (08/24/04). This is my first SUV and I'm lovin it. She's a solid Florida truck with no rust! I look forward to having her long after the payment coupon book is empty.
She has issues I've seen posted here a lot: no brake lights or cruise, rear hatch won't open, front end shake, radio LED, cold temp gauge, etc... I'll report back with her condition and if the eng/tranny are OEM. A/C comp is new. My goal is 22mpg hwy as I travel in work.
Months ago brake lights were fixed, hatch was repaired, brake work done, front end shook cos of tires. Bought 4 base tires from SAMS club.
More recently an heated O2 sensor & temp sensor were changed out. Replaced the bearing in the idler pulley (didnt like the rimless replacement) and put on a gatorback belt. Tranny pan has yellow markings on it so there have been some replacement there (no surprise). Couldnt see any marks on the engine so we still dont know if its orig.
to do list:
Front end sounds loose, ride is quite rough, tranny leaks some fluid so I keep up on that till I can get her overhauled, a/c blower is intermittent, dash lights dim with a load on the alt, cat needs replacing (I'm in here getting exhaust ideas), cruise doesnt yet work, and I need a stereo system!
Nice to have joined the 200k+ club!!
nancy

97 xlt 191,000 2x front wheel bearings, front sway bar, all new shocks, new manifold, tranny rebuild, normal wear and tear... thats it :)

my friends dad drove his exploer until it had 250000+ and that thing ran grate. until he gave it to my friend and we got the 4x4 working and rolled it in a mud pit. but the x had the original engine and tannie and he had it since it was new in 92.

centralMa4wd said:
97 xlt 191,000 2x front wheel bearings, front sway bar, all new shocks, new manifold, tranny rebuild, normal wear and tear... thats it :)

centralMa4wd: Is your tranny the 4-spd auto or 5-spd auto?

it was the auto with over drive 5 speed

i started going out about a week before its death but that made it mor fun. it was like trying to drive a manual cus you could flore it and it would just keep reving in the same gear until the rpms got to 1500 again and then it it would shift. you could do some sick donuts in that thing. i miss it

(It started) my bad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back