High milage explorers? | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High milage explorers?

130,000 on my 94' XLT 4X4. No major repairs, just the arm bushings and the hubs (switched to manual)

My good friend has a 97 XLT 4x4 with 190,000. The only problem that it had was when valvoline put power steering fluid in the brake fluid reseviour. Thank god he knew something was wrong before he crashed full speed into something!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

high milage in so many words.

Just today purchased another explorer with 398,000 miles. dont know much about it but that it needs a rear end and radious arm bushings, although it will be used as a parts vehicle anyway.

I have a 97 Sport with 143K..
Its been a great truck so far..
Mostly normal stuff..
1 Seat Back Recliner
Rear ABS Sensor
Thermostat
Needs Door latches due to dome lights being intermittent
Emergency brakes need work..
I think I have a U Joint going bad..
As I said for the mileage it's been great!

92 XLT 4.0

198 000 miles... a little more.

Major parts changed...
1. the engine at 140 000 miles.
2. the transmission at 197 500 miles.
3. flex plate at 197 500 miles (same time as tranny, flex plate also changed before this... same problem, broken out in the middle, don;t know when it was changed)
4. power steering pump about a week ago (the pulley seized up and broke off)
5. new exhaust at about 180 000.

I didn't get my truck until recently, but I know alot of this stuff has been done. My truck also has adjustable air shocks in the back. I don't know what PSI to keep them at... but they seem fine as they are right now. I'm not sure when those were installed. There has been some body work, the truck was owned by my uncle who works at a Ford garage. I've noticed my A/C has been disconnected... I don't know why, but I know it isn't charged either way.

97 Mountaineer AWD w/ 172000

Tires x2 (BFG AT's were good for 100k mi+!)
Brakes x2
Suspension bushings
Shocks
Diff fluid F + R
Oil changes
Plugs
Wires
Transmission + Torque Converter
Rear main seal (done with tranny)
Serpentine belt idler pulley

now pushrods from submarine incident.

91 Merc,

I thought the 97 AWD V8 didn't require changing the diff fluids. Was this just something you did as preventative maintenance, or was this required? Just curious. I have 87K on my 97 XLT AWD. I'm going to be towing about 4000lbs boat this season, so I'm being extra **** about fluids and stuff.

Thanks!

398000 miles tops it...

we should set up a list of Explorers with milage listed and possibility of updating figures.

Explorers with highest milage would go on top.

how's that?

95 XLT 154k miles.. she's been driven

An update to my Explorer...97 XLT AWD...160,000

Future high milage explorer

Mine is a 2003 with about 34K :eek:

94 XL 155000 miles...had it for two years...no major problems.

92 XLT 4x4 K

Major things are:
3rd transmission
transfer case will not always go into 4wd, need to clean the electronic shift motor
power steering pump
and AC compressor.

It still runs, check engine light comes on every so often but there are no codes when I have them read and it goes through about a quart of oil a month.

Currently it sits in my driveway with no tags or insurance till i decide what to do with it. Either going to build it bigger and better or let it go. I enjoy the truck so I'm hesitant to let it go.

I slid off the road a few weeks ago and broke out the rear lift gate glass.

94 xlt ohv 4x4 201,458 miles replaced the tranny and lower ball joints both auto hubs replaced when i bought it tow years ago left side axel barring ujoints radio

97 xlt 4.0 - 130,000 miles
This has been the best vehicle i've owned,runs great and has been very reliable!

parts replaced:fan clutch
cam sensor
brake pads
belt
2 tune ups (plugs,wires, fuel filter)
tranny & t-case fluid changed twice
battery
fuel injectors cleaned
radiator flushed many times
thermostat
and upper intake gaskets

'97 5.0 Awd= 108,000

'93 4.0 = 184,000

Update on mine
99 Explorer Sport with 113,000 on it.

Replaced - Lower ball joints
Had a tranny flush
Finally replaced the original brake pads at 100,000

Needs a cam sensor/drive replacement soon, it's chirping like crazy now :(

Roy :uk:

schadler said:
91 Merc,

I thought the 97 AWD V8 didn't require changing the diff fluids. Was this just something you did as preventative maintenance, or was this required? Just curious. I have 87K on my 97 XLT AWD. I'm going to be towing about 4000lbs boat this season, so I'm being extra **** about fluids and stuff.

Thanks!

I just did it as preventative maintenance. There have been a few times where I've submerged them on the trail so I figured it'd be a good thing to do! I just submerged the engine this past weekend, now it's time to replace the pushrods I bent. :banghead:

1996 Explorer XLT
190,000 Almost

No major problems yet...

1998 with 102,000

Front sway bar bushings twice (about to be 3X)
Upper and lower ball joints
Front sway bar end links
2 rear wiper motors

OEM parts are awful - I now go to a private mechanic who who uses NAPA stuff and charges a lot less. Will see how the latest front suspension work holds up (it's needed soon) using something other than OEM....

tires X3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chirping noise/cam sensor/drive

bustergonad said:
Update on mine
99 Explorer Sport with 113,000 on it.

Replaced - Lower ball joints
Had a tranny flush
Finally replaced the original brake pads at 100,000

Needs a cam sensor/drive replacement soon, it's chirping like crazy now :(

Roy :uk:

does the chirping noise start when the cam sensor needs repacement? What kind of chirping noise? Does it chirp about once every revolution? HELP! Been troubleshooting chirping noise for a few months. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, -DAVE!-

Back