Homemade front bumpers - weld-on or bolt-on? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homemade front bumpers - weld-on or bolt-on?

right now my bumper is bolt on. and will stay that way.. less work if you get in to an accident or forget something. for now its bolted to the frame horns. later i'll sleeve the frame and bolt it like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_1717.jpg

here is how I mounted my tubed/receiver bumper to frame. This is an early pic. I used steel angle. Two bolts thru the front and two on the sides. Then tubes were connected to that . I like that I can take it off the frame. In fact the whole tubed/receiver bumper is off right now.

RangerX said:
I vote bolt on too. ;) That's what I wanted from the start.

What would help me is some closeup pics of how and where you guys have it bolted, to give my fabricator some examples. :D

Bill, Here is how mine were on...

mount2.jpg

mount.jpg

They were on ...a little too good. We unbolted the thing and it wouldn' budge, with no bolts in it :eek: We had to wack on it with a sledge for awile to get it off. :p

Here are a few of mine. First one shows it bolted to the frame, 3 completely through on each side, 1/2" of course. The winch mount then bolts to the bumper itself and can be taken out.

Attachments

• winch6-1.jpg
    winch6-1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 981
  • P1010523-1.jpg
    P1010523-1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 948

I definately vote for bolt on. Its not hard to do if your custom fabbing bumpers and it will benifit you in the longrun. A couple pics of my creation.

2076098_85_full.jpg
2076098_22_full.jpg
2076098_26_full.jpg

I am a certified vehicle modifier and welder. Welding it on will weaken the frame. Build a bracket that covers the top and both sides of the frame, then bolt all the way through both sides. hope this helps you in your quest.

IMG_2213.jpg

I have seen things crack along the welds on frames. If you have to weld to frame it is better to weld with frame then diagonal.

You can see the bolt holes on my bumper. They are on the sides and front of each connection to frame. I wanted to put another coat of paint on so It's just a matter of unbolting and rattle can it. I could have easily welded to frame but my experiance says no.

I will chime in. Mine are both bolted on. I fiigure a bolt will flex, a weld will break. My front moves around all the time and is always pising me off. I pushed my buddy off this rock a few weeks ago and tweeked it so much the stupid thing rubbed on my tires when I flexed until I hooked a strap around it and pulled back down.

My Rear bolts on and it doesn't move a bit. I tow trailers with it, smash it on rocks Snatch people out of whatever and it never tweeks. I think the key is to have a butt load of bolts holding it far spaced out mounts.

Here are the mounts on my rear bumper:
Mount 1
Mount 2

It is mounted with 8 bolts. Well spaced.

Here is my front 4 bolts very close together:
Front

I think I may drill another hole per side and fix the front. Also to be considered is that the front has a bunch of tubing on it. It is the first thing to hit and it has a considerable amount of leverage on it when I hit something. The rear doesn't take hits like this- no big crowbar exuting a huge amount of leverage on it when I pound on it!

Hope this helps!
Kirby

kirby want to make another one of those and send it to me?

zhanx said:
kirby want to make another one of those and send it to me?
Buy my front if you want it! Shipping would hurt a little though! I am keeping my rear bumper right now though. I will be adding a spare tire carrier soon- a 37 is too much for the cargo area!

i got a front one need a new rear one.

Back