List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

wilsor

Reaction score
City, State
Port Barrington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited
I just took delivery of my 2012 Explorer on Friday and was looking for advice about a tiny paint bubble on the hood about 1mm in size. It's not noticable unless you get right up on it, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. The dealership took pictures of it and said they'd fix it, but it would involve claying the bubble off and re-clear coating the spot. My concern is messing with the factory paint... Should I have them fix it or live with it? It doesn't bother me, I just don't want to increase the likelyhood for rust. Chances are, I wouldn't still own the vehicle once the paint warranty expires after 100,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd fix it, what will you do when the paint gets hit by a tiny rock and chips the paint away? Then you'll be back at square one. Just my 2 cents, but I'd have them order me a new hood from factory, but then again no gurantees on a 100% paint match but better than having some local body shop mix the paint. I'd push for a new painted hood from factory it would be worth the wait.

I just took delivery of my 2012 Explorer on Friday and was looking for advice about a tiny paint bubble on the hood about 1mm in size. It's not noticable unless you get right up on it, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. The dealership took pictures of it and said they'd fix it, but it would involve claying the bubble off and re-clear coating the spot. My concern is messing with the factory paint... Should I have them fix it or live with it? It doesn't bother me, I just don't want to increase the likelyhood for rust. Chances are, I wouldn't still own the vehicle once the paint warranty expires after 100,000 miles.

I would let the dealer fix it. If it "bubled" it means there isn't adhesion of paint to metal and it WILL rust. If your dealer is not capable of restoring a 1m.m. chip of paint to like new condition, on the hood of a car. Then we might as well close this country OUT OF BUSINESS.

As far as rust on the hood, aren't the hoods aluminum on the new Explorer?

Its an easy fix they will just sand it down with emery cloth and then buff it and then use clear coat and sand again then buff it no biggie !!! Trust me i'm very **** with my car's !!!

Got few of them on sides, atleast see 2 on driver side rear door

Well...
Hopefully they fix all these problems for the 2012 model year.

I'd be pissed when considering how much these newer fords cost.

Compared to what? Sorry, but I've heard that refrain too many times. The new Explorer is a mid-priced vehicle, and you are getting a very good product even compared to the Audis that cost 20% more.

I really don't care much about 2 small pain bubbles, you'll have lot more dings on it in next 6 months anyways.

Issue with Paint on the Hood

2011 Limited with 17,000 miles. Have been posting on the wind noise, A-pillar side of this forum (just fixed for the second time) and had to mention the latest issue. Noticed a small bubble under the paint at the front edge of the hood. Not a stone chip, not a scratch but the paint bubbling up. Opened the hood and the same bubbling was all along the front and down the sides along the seam under the hood, even under the gasket. Brought it in to the dealer right away. The took pictures, sent them to Ford, got immediate clearance to do the repair and two days later my hood was completely repainted.

It looks good, service was excellent but not happy that this needed to be done. Good thing it happened during warranty. Keep an eye out for this... I can't imagine I will be the only one.

I don’t understand how so many people with 2011 Ford Explorers are having so many issues. I have one and haven’t had any of the issues posted. I don’t hear that much noise when on the parkway… it’s a car and wind you should hear noise no? I did smell the smell when hard acceleration and I probably should have brought that up yesterday. I had no huge issues with my MFT and I have the first generation Explorer! I am really going to do a full around check today of my car and see if I find these issues write them down and tell them to the dealer. I really don’t expect to find anything though because I haven’t had an issue and absolutely love the car. I almost feel left out when things like this don’t happen to me! LOL :)
- Justin

I have a 2011 limited black explorer and just noticed the other day that the front edge of the hood is starting to blister. This is happening in a couple of spots along the front edge of hood. I am wondering if there has been any other people with similar problems. ( I wash and wax this Ex all the time)

I have a 2011 limited black explorer and just noticed the other day that the front edge of the hood is starting to blister. This is happening in a couple of spots along the front edge of hood. I am wondering if there has been any other people with similar problems. ( I wash and wax this Ex all the time)
I haven't noticed anything like that on mine. I doubt that it is caused by rust since I'm quite sure the hood is aluminum. Aluminum will, when exposed to air, form aluminum oxide which actually acts as a protective shield. I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it or a reputable body/paint shop for their opinion.
I would think this should still be a warranty issue.

Peter

I had this happen to my expedition . This seems to happen when the hood is made they did not prep the seem well so look at underside where hood is rolled back to make the edge this is where mine started. They dealer was not shocked they did all repair under their dollar.

This just started to happen this summer, I thought it was splattered bugs, but notice it was blistering in about 5 places all along the front leading edge. I am sure Ford will pay for it and it will look fine. But here's my concern, in another 14 months it will be out of warranty and if it continues to have paint problems what then? Does Ford give you a additional 5 year warranty?

Noticed the paint on my 2011 black limited is blistering along the front edge of hood. Checked under hood and the blistering continues. I have a list of TSB's to be looked at and repaired this summer, I sure hope they can match the paint. I had my power steering replaced this fall and was in dealership for a month. No cost out of my pocket but this is getting old. I wonder if Ford will do anything for those of us that have had so many problems with their Explorers?

Noticed the paint on my 2011 black limited is blistering along the front edge of hood. Checked under hood and the blistering continues. I have a list of TSB's to be looked at and repaired this summer, I sure hope they can match the paint. I had my power steering replaced this fall and was in dealership for a month. No cost out of my pocket but this is getting old. I wonder if Ford will do anything for those of us that have had so many problems with their Explorers?

Hi cbx1047,

I recommend bringing your Explorer to your dealership so these issues can be promptly addressed. I can look into ways to assist as well; send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll do some research.

Crystal

Hi, I noticed the same blisters on my 2011 explorer hood. But that will be cover by a paint warranty? Mine has 41,800 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t understand how so many people with 2011 Ford Explorers are having so many issues. I have one and haven’t had any of the issues posted. I don’t hear that much noise when on the parkway… it’s a car and wind you should hear noise no? I did smell the smell when hard acceleration and I probably should have brought that up yesterday. I had no huge issues with my MFT and I have the first generation Explorer! I am really going to do a full around check today of my car and see if I find these issues write them down and tell them to the dealer. I really don’t expect to find anything though because I haven’t had an issue and absolutely love the car. I almost feel left out when things like this don’t happen to me! LOL :)
- Justin

Well, I've driven in New York numerous times and you don't get up to highway speeds to where you'd hear the wind noises. If you've done any road trips, and you're going down the highway at like 65 - 70MPH, you will hear the A-Pillar rattle. Especially on a windy day. Maybe not the first time, not the second time, but once it gets loose from the wind, you will hear it.

For the SYNC, have you used the voice commands extensively? Once in a while, the system can flop on you. It's good to hear a 2011 not having any issues. Wish I had that 2011 lol!

Back